Doctor (Neurosurgery Reg), 99.95 ATAR, 10+ Years Teaching Experience, James Ruse Dux, Double State Rank – Years 11 & 12 Science and Maths Tutoring (1 Viewer)

Dr. Nikhil Vasan

HSC
Uni Grad
Dear students and parents,

My name is Nikhil Vasan and I’m currently a practising doctor working in various medical and surgical roles across urban and rural NSW.

I’ve worked as a neurosurgical registrar and senior resident in cardiothoracic surgery at Westmead Hospital, and senior resident in paediatric surgery at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead. I have four peer-reviewed publications in medical journals including Internal Medicine Journal and Heart, Lung and Circulation.

HSC Tutoring Now Available

From mid-January 2023, I’ll be offering structured, class-based, private tuition for Year 11 and Year 12 for the following subjects:
  • Physics
  • Chemistry
  • Mathematics Advanced
  • Mathematics Extension 1
  • Mathematics Extension 2.
Classes will be held in Epping.

Credentials

• 99.95 ATAR
  • Dux of James Ruse (2010)
  • Two NSW state ranks: 7th in Physics (2010) and 4th in Cosmology (2008)
  • 99th percentile in the UMAT
  • Accepted to the USyd combined medicine program with a $70,000 scholarship
  • BSc(Adv) in Physics and Physiology with 86 (HD) WAM (USyd, 2013)
  • Faculty of Science Dean’s List of Excellence in Academic Performance

Teaching Experience
  • More than eight years of experience teaching advanced physics and chemistry during university at a highly esteemed Sydney tutoring college, where I was also made academic director
  • I have since continued teaching medical students and junior doctors how to safely and effectively practise in the areas of medicine, surgery and mental health.

More facts about me
  • Traveller: have just hit 60 countries!
  • AMEB Certificates of Performance in Classical Piano (2013) and Contemporary Piano (2011)
  • Self-taught drummer and top level (platinum) club swimming squad member
  • Adventurer: climbed Mt Kilimanjaro, white-water rafted in the Zambezi river, overland hiking in Patagonia, bungee jumped and skydived!

About the classes

Format

Weekly two-hour classes. My teaching style involves heaps of class interaction and energy, so if you have friends who are interested, bring them along!

You’ll be given writing booklets each lesson to take notes and answer practice questions, and each will include a succinct topic summary for your reference when it comes to revision time.

Note that the classes will be face-to-face (not online)!

Price & Trial Period

The price is $80 per student per two-hour class. All newly joining students may attend their first lesson for free for any number of subjects.

Why am I getting back into private teaching whilst working as a doctor?

To be honest, two things, travel and teaching. I told myself from day one entering my medical career that I would commit to balancing my clinical practice with both of these. As a junior doctor it was definitely achievable - I went on two overseas trips per year and continued teaching other junior doctors, medical students and also at a high school level.

But as I progressed through my time as a senior surgical resident and neurosurgical registrar, it became clear to me that the basic time commitment moving forwards for the next 10–15 years as a busy neurosurgical trainee (and eventually consultant) would make it quite literally impossible for me to balance my career with what I was really passionate about and brought me joy.

So I made the painfully difficult decision to leave my role as a neurosurgical registrar to instead practise emergency and internal medicine, allowing me to continue teaching and travelling the world.

Contact

Classes will commence mid-January 2023 (just before the school term starts). If interested (or have any questions whatsoever) please contact me at nikhil.vasan21@gmail.com.

Last edited:

jlu17

HSC
N/A
I was a student of Nikhil in 2017 where he taught at a high-profile tutoring college. Super grateful to have had his support during my HSC year. I have gotten 93 in physics, 99.35 ATAR with his guidance. He has helped promote a deep passion for learning which has allowed me to achieve great success in university academics as well as my professional career.

I am super happy to see him return to teaching!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)