• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does a good performance inHSC maths and science ensure good performance in University (1 Viewer)

rlmck

HSC
Ive got reasonable marks in the 2008 HSC. I have recieved a UAI of 95.25
I was wondering if a good performance in 2unit mathematics, chemistry and biology subjects at HSC level ensures a resonable performance at University level .ie studying a science degree?:)

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Nope.
Uni science/maths is very different to HSC science/maths.
E.g. Uni Physics is a lot more mathematically rigorous. Uni Chemistry rejects the model of the atom you accepted in high school and replaces it with a more complex one. Uni Maths is much more rigorous than HSC (even for Ext2 level) and there are concepts like matrices/vectors (not covered in HSC) which are important in pure/applied maths.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
My boyfriend is doing b/science and he says the maths he did in extension at high school was easily covered within the first few weeks.

rlmck

HSC
adan91 same UAI ! Thanks for your replies. Well i guess i have to work hard in uni regardless. Well is it fair to say a good performance in hsc maths and science is a good foundation for a student who is undertaking university study this year especially for a science degree?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Re: Does a good performance inHSC maths and science ensure good performance in Univer

No HSC performance will just automatically ensure that you will do well.
What if you end up not doing any work in uni? but uni is also entirely different to HSC, we cannot guarantee that you will do well in uni even if u got 100UAI.

edit: no, a good performance will not necessarily mean u have a good foundation. Who knows if u just memorized everything without understanding it, but sure, it might help, but its not going to be tremendous help for uni...

Last edited:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Re: Does a good performance inHSC maths and science ensure good performance in Univer

physics in uni makes hsc physics look like a history lesson.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
rlmck said:
adan91 same UAI ! Thanks for your replies. Well i guess i have to work hard in uni regardless. Well is it fair to say a good performance in hsc maths and science is a good foundation for a student who is undertaking university study this year especially for a science degree?
I guess it means your thinking is in the right 'mode' if you know what i mean, which could be useful in quickly grasping new concepts. But honestly, the difference between uni and high school work on the one subject is so different that your high school work won't make that much of a difference. In fact, you might even find that some of the uni work disproves what you learn't in high school

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

darkwolfzx said:
physics in uni makes hsc physics look like a history lesson.
it is a history lesson thoug hahaha

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
There is no way you will be able to ride on your HSC results.

Similarly to -may-cat- my maths tutor told me they covered Extension 1 maths in the first 4ish weeks when she started her course and she is doing the same course as you at the same uni.

rlmck

HSC
Thanks again. I will be working hard at university. Well i guess that university study is a whole new phase of learning that i will have to undetake regardless of what i have previously learnt:D

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I guess so, mind, doesn't the prospect of covering an entire years work in a couple of weeks freak you out? Im glad im not a maths person...

rlmck

HSC
-may-cat- said:
I guess so, mind, doesn't the prospect of covering an entire years work in a couple of weeks freak you out? Im glad im not a maths person...
Not really. Maths is an artform. Everyone has there areas of strengh and weakness.

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

rlmck said:
Not really. Maths is an artform
lol, reminds me of that article hehe, and its true!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
rlmck said:
Not really. Maths is an artform
ooooh, your one of those people, you'll like uni then, do discrete maths as a unit, after taking it my boyfriend wouldn't stop going on about how beautiful maths is for ages... weirdo

HSC

People who had a shitload of tutors and such so they could rape the HSC, i would think they'd be at some disadvantage.

rlmck

HSC
Sarah182 said:
There is no way you will be able to ride on your HSC results.

Similarly to -may-cat- my maths tutor told me they covered Extension 1 maths in the first 4ish weeks when she started her course and she is doing the same course as you at the same uni.
Are you implying that i will have to learn the 3unit course in a 4 week period when i start my degree?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

kevinx2 said:
People who had a shitload of tutors and such so they could rape the HSC, i would think they'd be at some disadvantage.
lol, what if they tutor for uni too

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
rlmck said:
Are you implying that i will have to learn the 3unit course in a 4 week period when i start my degree?
pretty much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)