Does Any Other School Do This? (1 Viewer)

get_born

For english whether it be 2 unit, ext 1 or ext 2, our speeches and presentations have to be memoried by heart. We even get deducted marks if we hold a card with a few points to help us remember the beginning of sentences we might forget. Now some people are good memorieser, while for others its just plain difficult.

Need to know urgent if any other school has to memorise as well!!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
well many students have to memorise their shorter speeches like with Extension 2 for the Viva Voce or oral tasks for 2&3 unit, but why is this so important? :confused:

get_born

Well I know a few schools that can use speech cards. Now for example in 2 unit speeches can be as long as 15 mins--7 pages typed. And this is expected to be memorised. I've so far scored 100 % in all english areas... but the one place i'm stuffing up is in my speeches and I can spend like 50 hours +memorising and know it inside out... but when it comes to saying it in front of the class i might forget a word--- that leads to trying to remember the word-- that leads to referring to the word 'umm' and then that in turn leads to me screwing up!!

DoubleD

....Theonly One
HSC
Personally i hate speeches, infact i hate all public speaking, now that i've started this speech well, let me remind you that i hate public speaking :p

We dont' have to memorise our speeches, we could have as many notes and stuff around us as we wanted, but were deducted a mark if we didn't keep an eye on the audience at least 50% of the time....

and i have to make a comment as well.. how many schools.. how many schoools get ther half yearly paper a week before they answer it ???????

ie. a local cathlic school, a week ago they got their exam papers, they then took them home, they then worked through them at home wroteessays etc, then they proceeded to goto school, sit down in an exam hall under exam conditions and re-write that 'memorised' essay.. no wonder they get top marks in terms of school performance...

-=DD=-

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
we definately didnt have to memorise but the people who got the best marks tend to be the ones who memorised over 80% of their speech..

HSC
well we aren't given full marks if we got cards if thats what your asking, i did half half, i looked up 80% of hte time but i had main points

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
English speeches are the easiest part of english... damned writing tasks.

For our upcoming speech we can have about 10 points or so to help us..
although i choose to memorise it, cause its real easy to memorise an entire speech and get like 1 or 2 free marks =D

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
depends on your comfortability and confidence with speeches

a good way to do speeches whether with cards or not, is to memorise them anyways
i find it hard to rely on my cards...they should be used only for emergencies

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Schools do what they think is best for their students. It is possible that your school wants you to memorise your speech, in a sense that you will memorise your essay for the hsc. It could be also that they want you to remember key points about your argument and build up on your ability to write spontaneously from a ideas

get_born

kimmeh said:
Schools do what they think is best for their students. It is possible that your school wants you to memorise your speech, in a sense that you will memorise your essay for the hsc. It could be also that they want you to remember key points about your argument and build up on your ability to write spontaneously from a ideas
I guess your right. But , not trying to say I wont memorise, infact I agree with memorising, I just dont agree with our teacher not allowing us to hold one little palm cards with the main points, because in a previous speech i did, the only reason i stuffed up was because I forgot one line and if I just had that palm card in my hand with that starting point that never would have happened.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Stand in front of a table and lay out your cue cards on the table and if you get stuck look down at the cue cards.

Kangaroostyle

HSC
Hell Naw...... we dont have to memorize at all..... we are allowed to have palm cards we dont loose any marks if we do ...but then again if u memorise it you'll get a 100% for eye contact ;)!

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Sucks to you but we have to know all our speeches of by heart, be they 5 minute ones on Journeys or 20 minute Viva Voces.

get_born

Gavrillo said:
Sucks to you but we have to know all our speeches of by heart, be they 5 minute ones on Journeys or 20 minute Viva Voces.
yeah thats how it is at our school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)