Does anyone agree with me on this? (leavers week) (1 Viewer)

HSC
Okay well I don’t understand leavers week, everyone has been pressuring me to go prior to the event and I decided not to go. After people found out I was called weird people didn’t understand my decision the first conclusions they jumped to is whoah you must be a hell christian or your parents must suck. The thing is it is my decision not to go I don’t see the point of drinking alcohol and sloshing it down into your body with no self control a whole week of this peer pressure influencing you and for most time this is peoples first time of drinking. I can understand drinking but in moderation just like everything in life should be taken in moderation. It seems like a disaster 12 years of working hard to achieve the best results in school you can and making a silly mistake and losing it all over a drink possibly leading to death. I just don’t get why it is embedded in the culture to do these things to be influenced by the stupidity of people to be forced into things that you don’t want to do like sex and all that drama that goes with this leavers week. I have been constantly updated with photos about how much I am ‘ missing out’ on this good old time nobody respects my decisions or sees it the way I do its almost as if someone my age shouldn’t be thinking like this and should just fall in line and be a sheep and follow like the rest but I simply can’t. I think there is a better way to celebrate this you don’t need to drink alcohol and drink until your sick just to prove a point to someone to justify your position in life all you need to be is yourself and have fun and celebrate leaving but nothing over the top stupid. What is everyone else opinions on this, did your friends respect your decision not to go.? does anyone even agree with what i think :/

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Depends where you want to go, find friends where you rather enjoy a trip to melbourne or some crap to sight see instead of getting drunk, trust me if your friends are into this stuff, they will probably be doing it more and more during uni, so I suggest you find people with your point of view or at least respect it so you can find things to do with them whilst your other friends are out getting drunk and partying.

HSC
Depends where you want to go, find friends where you rather enjoy a trip to melbourne or some crap to sight see instead of getting drunk, trust me if your friends are into this stuff, they will probably be doing it more and more during uni, so I suggest you find people with your point of view or at least respect it so you can find things to do with them whilst your other friends are out getting drunk and partying.

Yeah but its pretty much everyones opinion thats the problem :/ finding friends with that point of view is like a needle in a haystack in this age and era anyway

Flop21

HSC
Not everyone gets black out drunk. There's nothing wrong with drinking here and there and having fun though?

Are you saying if you went you wouldn't be able to control yourself? I don't understand why you're assuming and generalising all school leavers that go to schoolies go to get black out drunk and screw everyone.

Maybe you're friends do it because of peer pressure and to "justify your position in life"?? But a lot of people can control themselves and are there to celebrate finishing a tough year.

If you don't like alcohol, partying, and being with your friends while they do all this, then it's perfectly fine NOT to go.

HSC
I already know that not all people get black out drunk this isn't my point and i understand theres nothing wrong with having fun and drinking, Im also not generalising people Im saying mostly this stuff happens with the amount of people turning 18 this year it increases the risk of certain things. Im not just talking about my friends with peer pressure I'm saying that most people fall into this category friends or not friends they feel like they have to drink in front of their friends which justifies their position in life like being apart of the group more just to fit in and a few people control themselves not many. I think you have kinda misread what I'm saying I already know its perfectly fine to go I'm just wondering if there is anyone who shares the same opinion as me

Kolmias

HSC
Just saying, most people at my school do jack shit throughout their scholastic career. SoI don't believe everyone really has put in '12 years of working hard to acheieve the best results possible'.

Just saying though. My remark is not directed at the OP.

HSC
Well I suppose thats true but just staying there for 12 years for some people is hard work in itself to achieve and finish school but yeah I get your point, I still feel like I'm the only person with this opinion anyway :/

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
It's just the age group, most of them are becoming of legal age and want to embrace their freedom.

I'm sure you can find people who aren't into the whole alcohol scene and go out with them?

HSC
It's just the age group, most of them are becoming of legal age and want to embrace their freedom.

I'm sure you can find people who aren't into the whole alcohol scene and go out with them?
Yeah I suppose your right its an age group thing but finding people outside the scene well thats a difficult task :p

Flop21

HSC
Yeah I suppose your right its an age group thing but finding people outside the scene well thats a difficult task :p
You'll be in uni soon, I doubt it'd be hard to find people like that (especially if you're going to a top uni).

HSC
rather the opposite lol
well thats annoying I guess :/ and even if it is a good uni sometimes you find it not as good than one that is labelled badly its like how people judge private schools and public schools behaviour always thinking that the public schools are the worst but that isn't always the case

Flop21

HSC
rather the opposite lol
Yeah but I don't even really understand what OP wants.

Do you want friends that don't drink, don't go to parties? You're going to have some pretty boring friends then.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah but I don't even really understand what OP wants.

Do you want friends that don't drink, don't go to parties? You're going to have some pretty boring friends then.
I know some pretty cool people who don't drink so .....

Also parties doesn't necessarily mean a drink fest

HSC
You make a really good point Asghar_Joon,

Thats what people don't get they think its the only way to celebrate and its embedded in the culture and if you don't do things like this you are labelled as boring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)