• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does ne1 know what institutionalised inequality means? (1 Viewer)

Hales:)

HSC
Just wondering if anyone knows what institutionalised inequality means?
Thanks heaps!

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Formal Equality Occurs when the law provides that, in certain denied circumstances, everyone should be treated equally regardless of background, social or economic status or personal beliefs. E.g. Anti discrimination Act, Sex discrimination Act

Does formal equality before the law hide institutionalised inequality?Despite formal equality before the law the reality is different. Those with less power, less money and less education have less chance of being treated equally by the law. Mainly because of accessibility.
It could be said that inequality is institutionalised. I.e. part of the fabric of our govt. E.g. Legislature, executive and judiciary. The more power and money, the greater the access and the better chance that equality will be achieved.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
That's good goan_crazy :)

Does anyone else think it's bizzarre that our own High Court is governed by a principle of formal inequality regarding age discrimination that has been entrenched in the Constitution? But I've ranted on this before, in another thread, so I'll say no more at this point ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)