does running help strengthen or build any leg muscles? (1 Viewer)

Chris.

HSC
im currently doing weights..and i want to know if doing running would help leg muscles aswell as just cardio.

Also, if you are working out the whole body, is it essential to workout the stomach (6 pack area)? because the only exercise i can think of that is situps and i think i do them wrong because my back hurts afterwards..

NinjaSauce

HSC
Running does not improve the strength in your legs. Just your endurance in running.

To build strength, stick with the 1-5 rep range [generally], and squat and deadlift. That is plenty. Assistance exercise comes alot later, and should be attempted unless you know what your doing/need.

As for your torso, or '6 pack area'. Yes, its is definately essential. Though crunches are nasty. They compress your rib cage and spine, and can lead to injury.

If you deadlift, squat, bench and overhead press well. Your getting plenty of abdominal exercise. Hell, Pull ups done heavy are also great for your abs.

Hope this helps,

HSC
It really depends on what your goal is. Running, although quite punishing is good for muscle endurance, which is important if you are into sports.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
yeah i agree. running up an incline is best to build up muscles

also dont forget about your back (particularly lower) muscles if youre concentrating on abs. most people only do abs and this leads to problems with yr lower back :)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Sprinting will make your abs look cut very quickly, also do crunches instead of situps, its better for your stomach and back.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
I don't think working out the torso area is essential depending on what you're doing. My 6 pack developed on it's own without any crunches or sit ups whatsoever. However, I was running 10km a day...and I mean running, in under 50 minutes. But running does develop great stomach muscles. Even now that I've cut back a bit on how often I do the run they're still there, they just get covered up by fat every now and then haha...

As for leg muslces...it didn't really increase my leg muscles dramatically, but helped made them more defined as it stripped them of any fat.

If you're at a gym you could use the step climber, it's great from your legs and butt, but don't do the pissy slow climb like some people do, whilst resting on the arm rails...rest your hands on the top of your head or hips and run it.

BinMac

Banned
HSC
I agree, sprinting will make your abs look more cut than jogging, because it helps you lose weight faster and speeds up your metabolism. Crunches are probably better than sit-ups. Working out your entire body is much better then just working on one part.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
running, fast, uphill will tone your legs up/build muscle quite well. i was doing it yesterday, now my calves hurt :s but it's probably worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)