Does the hsc marks get scaled again for UAI??! (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
UAC uses your raw marks, not the HSC mark.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The UAC uses the raw HSC mark, which is not publically available unless requested under the Freedom of Information Act.

These raw marks are scaled by the UAC, and the aggregate of your best 10 units are taken and a UAI is created.

The marks you received today are not used in the process of attaining your UAI.

monchhichi

HSC
omg..please dont tell me the hsc raw marks are lower than the others marks...
im gonna get burnt alive.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes they are usually lower.

Have a read of the technical arcana forum in the "Board reveals raw marks" thread to get an idea of the how much difference a raw mark can change after the aligning process.

Lucy00

HSC
N/A
Does UAC take into consideration assessment marks???

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
This is one of the many reasons raw marks are not publically released. There will be a lot of confusion as to what the marks mean.

I really wouldn't try to worry too much about something like that.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Ragerunner said:
Yes they are usually lower.

Have a read of the technical arcana forum in the "Board reveals raw marks" thread to get an idea of the how much difference a raw mark can change after the aligning process.
then whats the use of SAM then?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Lucy00 said:
Does UAC take into consideration assessment marks???
The UAC uses raw HSC marks. The HSC mark already takes into account of the assessment mark.

ariose

HSC
Oh well, screw the speculation. Just find out tomorrow whether or not the raw mark pulled you way down or did you right.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Gosh...so the UAC does not utilise our HSC marks? Wow...then what's the exact use of giving us a HSC mark anyway? :rolleyes:

Anyways, arh darn if I lose 3 uai points from my sam prediction...I'll be bugging the head of macq uni in January. :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I think I may have caused a bit of confusion.

The HSC marks you receive are marks that fit performance bands that describe typically what a student knows, understand and can do.

More information can be found here.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc/hsc_update_2002_03.html

"The assignment of the majority of HSC marks to a 50–100 mark range therefore has no influence on the calculation of the UAI."

It must be remembered that an HSC mark indicates a standard reached whereas a UAC scaled mark indicates a student’s position in the course candidature if all students had completed that course. Because HSC marks and scaled marks serve different purposes, comparing HSC and scaled marks is of little value.

As said, the UAC uses raw HSC marks and scales them. Because marks between each course are incomparable due to different criteria, each subject will need to be scaled so as every mark attained from the subject can be compared with a mark from another subject.
You are not disadvantaged in any way that makes it unfair when the UAC uses your raw mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)