• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does UTS hold any activities for students like camps and are there any groups? (2 Viewers)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Im interested in doing Med Sci at UTS, describe any fun extra curic activites the uni offers ( camps,parties, social gatherings).

Is it easy to make friends?

Does every science student get one of those UTS: Faculty of science coats?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
The university (rather, the UTS Union) offers a number of clubs which would certainly meet the party/social part of your question. Some clubs are pretty tame, whereas others organise parties/pub crawls as their sole type of event.

UTS Clubs

I'm not 100% sure if the science faculty has a newbie camp like the IT and Law faculties do, but I would doubt it. The whole "make new friends" thing is sort of lost here, as you're more likely to make friends when you're stuck with them in a group for 10 weeks (not at a camp for 2 days).

Not that I enjoy plugging the union, but there are other outdoor activities organised by them. They have 'short courses' in scuba diving, sailing, fencing and stuff like that, but it's a good $300+. They also organise day trips, which, as the name suggests, take place in the course of one day. You can go to places like the Hunter Valley, or Canberra, or on a bike tour of Sydney and other activities like that. They're normally around $70-$90, which includes everything (bus/train/tours etc).

All that information is here.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
As far as I know, there aren't any camps for the science faculty. I found it pretty easy to make friends, especially in lab classes where you'll be at the same bench every week. Get along with them, they'll be your lab partner/in your group for the rest of the semester.

And no, our lab coats don't have UTS: Faculty of Science on them (we only wish they did). Those are the staff lab coats. You'll have to get your own from either co-op or the union shop - go to co-op btw, they're cheaper over there. The one you'll get is just plain white, but that doesn't stop you from personalising it.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Ill be in it next year >_>, if it involves pubs/clubs ( with lud music), girls, fun people and career talk.:rofl2:

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Ill be in it next year >_>, if it involves pubs/clubs ( with lud music), girls, fun people and career talk.:rofl2:
Pubs: yes
Clubs: sometimes
Lud music: don't know what lud is
girls: a marginal percentage
fun people: definitely some of the best
career talk: leave that to careers officers-- most clubs don't delve into "careers". That's for suits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)