• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

does your cohort really scale you up or down depending on strength? (1 Viewer)

failwhale

HSC
say like u got 10th for a subject of mark 84

then during the externals, the 10th highest mark was 90

does that become your NEW assessment mark along with your own external mark?

how does this relate to cohort averages?

Aykay

HSC
Uni Grad
Your cohort definitely does scale you up or down depending on the strength, but not necessarily the way that you stated. I'm pretty sure there's no 'rank swapping' although you will generally get that mark as long as you don't fluctuate too much.

maxc16

Get some
HSC
say like u got 10th for a subject of mark 84

then during the externals, the 10th highest mark was 90

does that become your NEW assessment mark along with your own external mark?

how does this relate to cohort averages?
Your own external mark is more important than your internal mark. Theoretically half your HSC mark should be 90 and the other half should be your own. But the system is more complicated than that. If you get a comparatively higher mark in externals than your cohort, your internal mark will be affected. For example, I accelerated business studies last year. By HSC time I was ranked 3rd internally. I did well in the HSC exam and got an external of 94. I received 94 for both internal and external despite the 3rd highest mark being around 92.

Skriker

HSC
Your own external mark is more important than your internal mark. Theoretically half your HSC mark should be 90 and the other half should be your own. But the system is more complicated than that. If you get a comparatively higher mark in externals than your cohort, your internal mark will be affected. For example, I accelerated business studies last year. By HSC time I was ranked 3rd internally. I did well in the HSC exam and got an external of 94. I received 94 for both internal and external despite the 3rd highest mark being around 92.
Wait so your saying, say you get like 50% for your business studies and ranked average like30/60 then you perform outstanding and get like 90% would you recieve 90 as you external and internal mark??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)