• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does Your Eng Ext 2 Major Work, Have To Be Related To Literature? (1 Viewer)

simplefella

HSC
Hi, I want to know whether your Eng Ext 2 Major Work, have to be related to some form of Literature or text?

I haven't settled on a topic yet but i was looking into:

- What is contemporary art?
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Student Social Hierarchy

Any of these topics acceptable for EE2?

Nicholas727

HSC
Good chance this is a troll, but incase it isn't:

Yes, your major work has to focus on literature!

Those could be themes you could incorporate into your thesis, but regardless you will have to focus on the construction of the texts themselves in order to score some marks.

simplefella

HSC
hey nicholas..

can you elaborate on your point..im not quite sure what you mean by "focus on the construction of the texts themselves"..

Cheers

diametric

HSC
While the subject matter of the Major Work can be about anything, it can't SIMPLY be a story about OCD. It should have some grounding in literature, and your research should lead you to read many texts (from and outside of your selected medium) that also focus on the topic, so that you can have a broader understanding of how the issue is approached in literature.

Also, the "construction of the texts," that is, the medium, literary techniques and devices all need to relate to your concept in an arguable, and justifiable way. For example, my short story attempts to paint a picture of the 'literary passage of time' = Romanticism --> Dark Romanticism --> Modernism, and thus incorporates themes and stylistic devices that are relevant to all of these movements.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I dunno that it has to really be 'grounded in literature', to such an extravagant extent. Of course, peripheral reading is pivotal in your success, but I think some things, like poetry, already have a 'grounding' in the style that you choose. So you could write poetry about OCD, as long as there's some kind of concept, no? Although if it lacked complexity you'd do badly.

xandersnape

HSC
It doesn't need to relate to literature at all. As long as it relates to one or more of the concepts you have studied in year 11 or 12 english go crazy! But if you're worried, just having it in a literary form (In which all the options for ext 2 are) relates to literature because you need to follow conventions of the form etc. Many of the works in the Showcase books don't relate to literature, eg. "Marshmallows and Perenti" by Alison Fleming, in Showcase 5 is a play about aboriginal issues and doesnt directly relate to any specific literary sources.

In the end... the only thing your ext 2 needs to relate to is one or more of the units you have done in english advanced or english ext 1 over years 11 or 12. I can't emphasise that enough.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
OCD could be explored in a short film. Could shoot it in a neo-noir style, linking to say if you did Crime for Ext 1. Or you could write about OCD in a poem as previously said, adopting a writing convention prevalent to the real life condition - involving excessive repetitions of words, whatever.

Yaziyo

HSC
Don't get too bogged down in trying to link your work to english coursework. A short story can be pretty much about anything, and luckily the year 12 topic "belonging" and the year 11 topic "change" is pretty much every story.

I can't really comment on the essay option though, but I suspect you can pick any topic but remembering that it is English and not history/society & culture etc that you're studying.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
You could probably do it on 'Student Social Hierarchy' though the other two will just go onto an epic tangent. However if you do choose to do Student Social Hierarchy you will need some form of literature to base your discussion on, you simply can't do it on the topic alone. You could use a novel and describe how prose expresses student social hierarchy and then compare it with your own view. Though i'm not too sure how you would link this in with your other English courses, i guess it could tie in with belonging lol. Anyway you have weeks to decide. Most importantly make sure it's a topic you find interesting and enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)