• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Doing Revenge Tragedy.. POST HERE.. Chuck Some Ideas Around... (1 Viewer)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Anyone doing revenge tragedy and let's chuck some ideas around because no one really posted up stuff about revenge tragedy.

Anyone got useful researched things they wish to share........ I'm about to start my Ext 1 extra research 2moro.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
-The Revenger's Tragedy - Cyril Tourneur except some scholars reckon Thomas Middleton wrote it....I dunno

-Medea

-High Noon

Our related texts are Hamlet and Mystic River.

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
yeah i did RT...*remembers nostalgically*

I chose Braveheart and Sophocles Electra as my related

My prescribed were Tourneur's Revener's Tragedy (and i know abt the whole author debate but u got use Tourneur cuz thats how the Syllabus prescribes it) and Medea (that passionate woman!)

hmm... zenger wot sorta 'ideas' were u exactly thinkn?

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
well things like related texts and ideas about essay writing...... and any tips for Revenge Tragedy 05ers.

Any tips for success?

tabularasa

HSC
i know this has been discussed in other revenge tragedy topoic but hamlet while it is the perfect text for RT it is also is looked down upon because it is prescribed text for advanced. I too am doing medea revengers and high noon. Medea was great we finished that last term. I haven;'t started revengers yet.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
We're in the same boat...

I started reading revenger's tragedy, but I don't understand any of it. I heard there's a play/movie of revenger's tragedy but can't get my hands on it.

Even tried shreaza, kazaa and winmx. all no luck.

yeh how did u go in your first assessment?

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
HSC
zenger69 said:
well things like related texts and ideas about essay writing...... and any tips for Revenge Tragedy 05ers.

Any tips for success?
as tabularasa pointed out, Hamlet is EXTREMELY popular relatd material frankly Im a Bard fan so I wanted to Hamlet at all costs but then my teacher advised me otherwise. Hamlet is so popular that i think in a few years time it would be a prescribed text....not to put u off or anything...unlesss u can write something unique that distinguishes u frm other Hamlet writers otherwise the markers must b pretty sick of reading the same stuff the whole time... :)

as for an 'idea' on essay writing, well in the HSC the majority of students write in this style: intro, text 1, 2, 3 and so on.
If ur lookin for a band E4 then it is advised to plan ur essay like this:
intro, argument1, text 1,2,3 etc argument 2 text1, 2,3 and so on...this allows you to focus on the conventions and technical aspects of the genre and allows u to sythesise the whole genre rather than just talking about one text separately.

Cheers :) Good Luck!

tabularasa

HSC
umm show what point of view is is giving and how that relates to RT. My first assessment i could have done so much better in but screwed it up cause it was a speech and i was really tired and i sounded dodgy.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
ok... because i'm used to writing essay from qoutes as we did in the Prelim, but in the HSC the essay is from a picture.

While the creative writing is from a qoute which is really weird.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
Theres this book, its yellow i bought it in 03 from Collins that liek an excel guide but is really good gives summaries, suggested related text (war of teh roses was good) sample essays ect, its called Success in HSC EXTENSION ENGLISHRevenge Targedy by suzan and Bruce patterson...i still have my copy!

Must have especially if your goin to comprehende teh Revenegers Tardgedy which i understood but found crap!

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
yeh I got the yellow book already.

My only problem is that I have no understanding of The Revenger's Tradegy and does anyone know whether or not I could get an audio version of it.

I'm terrible at plays, I can't hear different voices in my head. So i need a tape of some sort.

tabularasa

HSC
OH teacher advised us to watch hamlet before reading revengers as we can get an idea of time period and similarities. it may help i don;t know i have atempted to start revengers.

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
HSC
zenger69 said:
ok... because i'm used to writing essay from qoutes as we did in the Prelim, but in the HSC the essay is from a picture.

While the creative writing is from a qoute which is really weird.
hmm are u by any chance referring to the 04 X1 exam? yeh they used a pic in it with a double-pointed bullet i think and then the creative peice was a quote frm Eliot. I must admit, I absolutely LOVED writing both the essay and the creative. Awsome experience. Like I was practically similing from ear to ear the whole two hours. Lol

rachael230

we're watching a version of the revenger's tragedy at the moment. it was directed by alan cox and has eddie izzard in it, and they've set it in something like liverpool, with really strong accents and have changed it around quite a bit, but its still good to get an idea of what's going on, considering that there are so many plots in the one play.
it should be available in video stores, cept i think they'd put it under horror, because its very graphic.

franski

HSC
eugh dont talk about that stupid play. im currently doing revengers tragedy (along with medea and high noon) and i dont understand the freaking plot one little bit - and i cant find a study guide anywhere for it! arrrrrgh! its basically a satire on other revenge tragedies (there is a little reference to some issues found in hamlet - currently studying in adv) and its like an italian version of neighbours - a 16oo's soapie where everyone sleeps with everyone, and everyone wants to kill everone else. i know that much anyways lol.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
HTML:
Quote: OH teacher advised us to watch hamlet before reading revengers as we can get an idea of time period and similarities. it may help i don;t know i have atempted to start revengers
so your saying Hamlet and The Revenger's Tragedy were written during the same time period?

Except i don't think thats right

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I love the revengers tragedy! We made a family tree in class which sort of clariffied the whole thing.

Clint Eastwoods 'Unforgiven' is great related material.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)