dot point help (1 Viewer)

speed_bump

invalid
*outline Micheal Faraday's discovery of the generation of an electric current by a moving magnet.

can someone help me please.....thanks

Huy

HSC
N/A
electromagnetic induction

that's basically it,

coil/solenoid, magnet, galvanometer (or other current measuring device)

in, out, in, out.

electromagnetic induction involves the conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy.

faraday was successful in looking for this effect because he noticed that a changing magnetic field was needed to produce electricity.

when a magnet is pushed into a coil of many turns connecte to a sensitive current measuring device (eg galvanometer), a current is produced as long as the magnet is moving relative to the coil.

this could mean that the magnet is moving, and the coil is stationary, or the coil is moving and the magnet is stationary.

if there is no movement between the coil and the magnet, no current is produced.

when the magnet is withdrawn from the coil, current is again produced but it flows in the opposite direction to that of when the magnet is inserted.

:)

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It's the magnet that goes in and out of the solenoid. Telling you just in case you have other thoughts :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
It's the magnet that goes in and out of the solenoid. Telling you just in case you have other thoughts :D
hahaha, that's my explanation for electromagnetic induction!!

you know what im talking about....

the faster it goes in, the more *current* flows... when you want to pull it out, it wont let you take it out, when you want to put it in, it wont let you... when you distance yourself, nothing flows, if you used a bigger 'magnet', it'll induce more current

muhahhah!!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by underthesun
Are you talking about the phallus induction?
I believe I am :p

LOL

I can never forget the experimental setup... :D

shadowRRL

HSC
there must be a relative movement between the magnet and the coil in order to produce emf. This is already mentioned above but just to put in other words

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
hahaha, that's my explanation for electromagnetic induction!!

you know what im talking about....

the faster it goes in, the more *current* flows... when you want to pull it out, it wont let you take it out, when you want to put it in, it wont let you... when you distance yourself, nothing flows, if you used a bigger 'magnet', it'll induce more current

muhahhah!!
hahhahhaha god thats funny. I bet thats how faraday discovered induction while he was bored thinking of sex

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by speed_bump
*outline Micheal Faraday's discovery of the generation of an electric current by a moving magnet.

can someone help me please.....thanks
the only thing i would add would be to know and understand faraday's law of electro-magnetic induction. it simply means that an emf is induced whenever a circuit experiences a change of a magnetic field with time.

faraday discovered that moving a magnet near a conductor induced an emf in it. his experiment involved moving a permanent magnet towards the conductor, which induced a current in one direction in that condutor. this current was picked up by a sensitive galvanometer. he also noted that a current was induced in the opposite direction, when the magnet was moved away from the conductor.

the induced emf was proportional to:
*relative velocity of the magnet and conductor
*strength of magent
*number of turns of conductor

Bannanafish

HSC
it says out line *faraday's* discovery, so wouldn't you have to describe his iron ring and such, cause he didn't really use solinoids as such

Rahul

Dead Member
yes, i think they just want a general outline of his experiment. the main thing to take out of this is the result of his experiment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)