Dot point: JJ Thomson Experiment??? (1 Viewer)

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Outline Thomsons experiment to measure the charge/mass
ratio of an electron...

Now, how did Thomson measure the ratio?
The textbooks are all too complicated :p

stinger

Banned
A place where something is or could be located
here's me lookin as though i'm attemptin to be helpful ... but i'm just tryin to learn this stuff myself really ... so correct if i'm wrong

didn't he send a cathode ray (beam of electrons) affected by both a magnetic field and an electric field

he set it up so the beam wasn't affected (i.e. passed through undeflected) and so the forces due to the electric and magnetic fields were equal

then he used f=qvB and f=qE ?? to find the charge to mass ratio?
or something along those lines

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Outline Thomsons experiment to measure the charge/mass
Firstly JJ Thompson got a cathode ray tube, put two large metal plates on either side of the cathode ray tube and applied a voltage to them to form an electric field going through the cathode ray tube. Then he switched on the cathode ray tube and saw what happened as the beam of electrons went through the tube as an electric field was applied. What happened? The beam got deflected in the direction opposite to the electric field (i.e. towards the positive plate), not surprisingly since the beam is made of electrons and electrons tend to move in the direction opposite to the electric field.

Then he applied a magnetic field by putting the south pole of a magnet underneath the cathode ray tube, and the north pole of another magnet on top of the cahode ray tube. What happened now? There's now magnetic field lines going perpendicular to electic field lines inside the cathode ray tube. The end result is that there is now two forces acting on the electron beam passing through the cathode ray tube. The electric field and magnetic field was adjusted just so that they cancelled eachother out so that the electron beam wasn't deflected at all (net force on each electron = 0).

therefore: F (electric) = F (magnetic)
since F (electric) = qE, and F (magnetic) = qvB
qE = qvb
v = E/B

Now we can determine the velocity v of the electron beam in the cathode ray tube, from the electric field E (which we know since E = voltage/distance), and B (magnetic field strength). So now that we know the velocity of the electrons, lets get rid of the electric field on the cathode ray tube, we don't need it anymore. Now there's just the magnetic field acting on the electron beam. As you know, as an electron moves in a magnetic field, it undergoes circular motion, and the magnetic force provides the centripetal force required for the circular motion.

F (centripetal) = F (magnetic)
m(v^2)/r = qvB
q/m = v/rB

since we know v already from above, and we know B (the magnetic field strength), and you can find out the radius r that the beam curves just by looking at it, you can work out the q/m ratio, just like JJ Thompson did. :)

-X-

HSC
N/A
wogboy, great explanation man. I was a little confused about this too. Just one question, if you position mf and electron somehow, would there still be a circular motion? I remember something like this hapens when positioned somehow. Probably was my dream though :D

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Omg... u made it sound heaps simple wogboy...

I was just a little confused with the calculation bit...

But yeh. thanx 4 dat!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)