• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Double Business major vs. Single major with Diploma in Language (1 Viewer)

boatz

HSC
N/A
Hi guys! :) I'm a first year business student and I'd like to hear your opinions on this. I havent yet chosen a business major - I'm waiting to get a taste of all the core subjects, and I'm also studying Indonesian (which I have done up to year 12).

I'm wondering which option you guys think employers might value more:
a) major in 2 business disciplines, such as accounting and marketing for example, which are quite different but could also complement each other.
b) Major in one business discipline and complete a Diploma in Indonesian.

They say a language is valuable but will it really be helpful in getting a better job? At the moment I am slightly more interested in the business side of things but it is very early days and I think if i put in the effort I could do well in Indonesian. Is there a way to incorporate both options? :S

Replies appreciated! Thanks!</SPAN>

HalcyonSky

HSC
a language other than Indonesian would be helpful

..and how does marketing compliment accounting? if you're going to double major do something like accounting / finance

boatz

HSC
N/A
^^Just curious, why a language other than Indonesian?
And accounting/marketing was just an example, I havent chosen a major yet. But one of my lecturers has a background in both marketing and accounting and said while she was working in marketing her accounting knowledge was very helpful as she was often dealing with financial reports relating to campaigns. But yeah just an example idk yet what I will choose.

HalcyonSky

HSC
accounting knowledge is useful in most areas of business, but ur marketing major will be redundant if you go into an accounting job

i dont know what percentage of the world speaks indonesian, but i imagine its very small. A more common language like mandarin or spanish would make more practical sense

jaimebien

HSC
Unless of course you intend to work in South East Asia. Indonesian would be useful. I'm not sure I'm clear on the distinction between the various forms of Malay, but the Indonesian form must be common enough for the different parts of SEA. And, knowing this form, I'm sure you can understand the other different forms so that you can communicate in them.

Edit: Oh look, Wikipedia says it is one of the most commonly spoken languages in the world.

spence

HSC
Is there a way to incorporate both options? :S

</SPAN>
You could possibly do a double degree, although I'm not sure which uni you're at, so that might not be an option, but I'd think most unis would let you combine business with arts. Alternatively, you can possibly do a diploma of languages on top of the business degree

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)