• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

double degree (1 Viewer)

henry08

HSC
N/A
If you do a Bachelor of Science you'd pay approximately 7K a year. If you do a double degree, say Bachelor of science/bachelor of engineering do you have to pay 7K for each course? I.e is it correct you would have to contribute 15K each year?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
You usually do a maximum of 8 subjects a year (4 per semester). With a single degree you to x number of compulsery courses, and a few 'optional' ones [called electives]. With a double degree, both degrees require you to do compulsery ones, but you sacrafice the electives to get the degree over an done with. Subsequently it [usually] takes 5 years to do a combined degree (instead of 6). , but alot of the courses may overlap with your science major - allowing you to finish quicker.

So in answer to your question - no, you would get the usual hecs 4 subjects charge per semester, but you would stay for another 2 years to finish the degree.

EDIT - http://info.anu.edu.au/StudyAt/_Combined_Programs/_4706XBENG.asp

henry08

HSC
N/A
So I would only pay the price of 1 degree, correct? The most expensive degree I assume.

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
Every subject has its own price according to its band, you pay that.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
henry08 said:
So I would only pay the price of 1 degree, correct? The most expensive degree I assume.
no, you pay per subject regardless of how many years you spent at uni.

Each subject is calculated at a different rate (pretty much their need/popularity) through 4 'bands' mentioned below.

https://www.une.edu.au/sfassist/fees.php said:
How much money are we talking about?
There are four payment bands depending on your course. You pay a different price for units which fall into the different bands.

Band one includes Arts, Humanities, Social Studies/Behavioural Sciences, Visual/Performing Arts and Languages units.

Band two includes Mathematics, Computing, Health Sciences, Agriculture/ Renewable Resources, Environment/ Architecture, Engineering, Sciences, Business and Economics, Commerce and Administration units.

Band three includes Law, Medicine, Medical Science, Dentistry, Dental Services and Veterinary Science units.

Band four (the national priority band) includes Education and Nursing units.
The uni well tell you how much each band/subject is worth. You just pay the fee.

henry08

HSC
N/A
So say I done all band 2 subjects. Would I ever pay more than about 8k or so a year if I done a 5 year double degree bachelorScience/bachelor Engineering?

Thanks for your help.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
I do all band 2 subjects - i got charged $889 per subject * 8 = $7112 a year. (remember this can change, this is this years fee @ anu)

However if you do an elective which falls under a different band - then you get charged more or less based on which band it is.

Also if you pay it off in advance, rather than let is run onto hecs, you get a 20% discount (in this case - $658)

Field trips, text books, required stationary (if any) is all extra.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
np - if you've got any more questions about it give me a buzz, i'll try and give you an accurate response.

henry08

HSC
N/A
I'm decided I am doing bachelor science (physics)/bachelor civil engineering combiend egree. Now just need to decide at which uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)