• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Double Degrees....advice from those who do/did them.. (1 Viewer)

HSC
How much more work is involved relative to doing say one course. I'm aware that it is probably and extra years work....but how much more intense is one week......Could you guys give me some advice, maybe those that did a single degree and the chose to do double or something.....or anyone that is doing a double degree...Thanks.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
it just takes longer to do. same pace of work. refer to other threads for info.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
einsteinthe2nd said:
How much more work is involved relative to doing say one course. I'm aware that it is probably and extra years work....but how much more intense is one week......Could you guys give me some advice, maybe those that did a single degree and the chose to do double or something.....or anyone that is doing a double degree...Thanks.
It depends on what combined degree you do actually. Like my degree, BBus/BComp at UTS is the same workload as a single degree. You just take 4 years to do it instead of 3. You still do 4 subjects a semester in this degree, each semester. You can do extra subjects over summer school (max 2) if you wish to make it faster.

Some combined degrees at UTS and some other unis as well have more than the standard load in certain semesters, however if you don't want to overload yourself, then you can just take longer to do it. I mean some of the UTS combined engineering degrees are slightly overloaded in some semesters, however you can just take 5.5 years to finish the degree instead of 5 if its too much for you.

Most combined degree courses at most unis though are usually standard load (meaning about 4 subjects per semester for most unis) so you'll do the same amount of work as a single degree student, except like you'll be studying subjects in more than one focus area (which may require more work/thinking, if you get what I mean), but if you're into both areas of your combined degree then it should be fine.

What I'm trying to say is that don't be scared off by doing a combined degree thinking its a lot more work than a single degree. Overall, it is more work, but its just spread out over a longer period of time :p. Combined degree's are a useful thing to have and employer's like combined degrees.

bobbie212

20 hours per week is a fuckload isnt it? cause thats the amount i may have to study if i do the course i'm interested in.

it has like 23-25 credit pts per semester i think. is that heaps?

Last edited:

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
what course are you looking at studying bobbie? i take it by the 20 hours is a science or engineering course? if so, thats a normal amount of hours.....

as for the credit points, you can't really compare them from the different uni's.... a unit at usyd is worth 6 credit points where as at mq a unit is worth 3 credit points... so which uni you talking about??

bobbie212

oh ok yea i dont really know wat im talkin bout. but its at sydney and its a science course.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Single and double degrees both have similar workload per week. Doing a double degree doesn't mean you do DOUBLE the amount of work... It just mean you have to complete less units from each of your degree to compensate, and one year longer.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
you do double the workload! ur doing 2 degrees! but u dont do 8 subjects per semester instead of 4, still do 4... it'll just keep on spreading.. and the 5 yrs at uni will make u feel like at good old high school again. *ah good old lovely sunshine days*

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
B Teach/B Arts very similar workload as other courses.. only difference is when you o out on teaching pracs.... extra year than most to complete... DAMN FUN!

santaslayer

HSC
25% more workload from the SMH...uni guide thingy from last year...(NOT the Good Unis Guide)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)