Double Demerit Long Weekend (1 Viewer)

Jiga

It goes without saying, but I wouldnt speed... especially with this P-Plate crap because double demerits = Suspended license.

I just went passed a cop station and there were like 50 vehicles their; cop buses, cop utes, cop cars, cop 4WD's... the works. Also saw like 4 cop cars in a short distance driving and had a cop ute behind me followed by an unmarked cop ute behind it :uhoh:

Its bullshit to, why is it that they all come out of the wood work now yet for the other 364 days or so of the year their isnt such a presence ---> Revenue raising (Not that Im really complaining, but their motives are clear)

HSC
mmm i've already been RBT'd this long weekend as well.

and everyone was driving unusually under the speed limit yesterday.

Jiga

Haha yeah so true..... places where people usually go above the limit now have people going under and constantly shadowing the brakes.

I travelled 200kms last night and amazingly I didnt get RBT'd or even see one, but there were plenty of cops out, I think judging off what I saw today at one cop shop their will be a big crack down tonight.

EDIT : I did see one very cheeky cop though, down this massive hill he had set up at the base behind one of those mobile sign thingys so the lights from it would make it impossible to see him.... I was going 10km/h above the limit (Because it was a massive down slope) but LUCKILY their was a guy in front who stopped me from going any faster and more than likely got checked out instead of me!

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
king_of_boredom said:
mmm i've already been RBT'd this long weekend as well.

and everyone was driving unusually under the speed limit yesterday.
Really? It's odd 'coz in my experience today I saw a few people who were speeding quite a bit... I kept exactly to speed limit (I'm also a P plater!) so I was super nervous about cops possibly being anal and booking me for going 62 or something (I doubt they can/would- but you never know~)... and then ppl overtook me at about 70+? I was like.. "uhh... double demerits? ur loss".

Jiga

Really? It's odd 'coz in my experience today I saw a few people who were speeding quite a bit... I kept exactly to speed limit (I'm also a P plater!) so I was super nervous about cops possibly being anal and booking me for going 62 or something (I doubt they can/would- but you never know~)... and then ppl overtook me at about 70+? I was like.. "uhh... double demerits? ur loss".
There are some people who continue to speed, I wouldnt be so worried if I had more points but being a P-Plater at the best of times you cant afford to lose points let alone when its double demerits.

Im abit paranoid about going alittle over the limit, because Im sure the cops have been told to produce results = they will get you for anything. But they would have to be TOTAL arseholes to get you for doing <5km/h over the limit.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
I think they factor in a 10% margin of error (before issuing you a ticket) - as not all cars have perfectly calibrated speedometers.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
True about the speedo- remember the Police WRX with the screwed up speedo a lil' while back?

Schoolies_2004 said:
There are some people who continue to speed, I wouldnt be so worried if I had more points but being a P-Plater at the best of times you cant afford to lose points let alone when its double demerits.

Im abit paranoid about going alittle over the limit, because Im sure the cops have been told to produce results = they will get you for anything. But they would have to be TOTAL arseholes to get you for doing <5km/h over the limit.
I know exactly how you feel... because that's the paranoia I face when I go out. I feel like the biggest wanker when I'm driving exactly at the speed limit (and sometimes a bit under) but I would seriously shit myself if I managed to lose my P's...

Jiga

Yeah.... Im not so worried usually, can handle losing 2 points or so, but double demerits = no speeding at all. The worst part is on the highway, doing 90km/h is just stupid, all traffic (including slow arse trucks) having to overtake, getting stuck behind me etc. Honestly it should be 100km/h on reds and 110km/h on greens..... when its all said and done if you retarded enough to crash at either of those speeds your screwed anyway so whats the reason for it!?

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
IMO P platers should be able to go the posted speed limit of the road their travelling on....The first few weeks of me having my P's I stuck to the 90km rule, but it was so goddam dangerous the amount of ppl overtaking me and the ways in which they would also... None of this different speed limits for different 'levels' of driving stuff-- It is really dangerous

7th Sign

HSC
ahh looked like im hitting some one else up for a lift tonight...

soo not driving....cant risk it...

CieL

HSC
Ah man.. drove to Bilpin today.. (wayyy past windsor and richmond) and those roads are around 80-100.. and consist of one lane each way..

What really really pissed me off was this old corolla who was driving 60 on a 100 road.. I was spewing and getting so frustrated, and literally there were 50 cars behind us all lined up.. I was the third car and I just wanted to whack her for not going over 60 at all..

Besides that, on the way to windor, I passed about 5 cop cars.. some truck got pulled over at west penno.. saw a few police motorbikes parked around.. saw some more vehicles just sitting there.. I was getting quite scared, but I know I'd be fine if I just stuck to the limit.. so it was all good today.. all 300km worth of it =]

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I followed a few cars going at 35 in 50 zone >< That's pretty damn dangerous too.

jooobl said:
IMO P platers should be able to go the posted speed limit of the road their travelling on....The first few weeks of me having my P's I stuck to the 90km rule, but it was so goddam dangerous the amount of ppl overtaking me and the ways in which they would also... None of this different speed limits for different 'levels' of driving stuff-- It is really dangerous
I can see the needs to limit P Plate speeds, but then it's also really dangerous when you have someone doing 90km/h and everyone around is trying to overtake... especially those huge semi-trailers or something.

Jiga

From my perspective, on double demerit weekends at least.... I cant even risk going 5km/h above the limit because having 16inch tyres on a car std with 15's means my speedo is out by 4% (as calculated by some site), so add that on top and even though my speedo might read 5km/h out I would be 9km/h over... not to mention the speedo just being out for other reasons.

I can see the needs to limit P Plate speeds, but then it's also really dangerous when you have someone doing 90km/h and everyone around is trying to overtake... especially those huge semi-trailers or something.
I cant see the reason, 90kmh or 110km/h.... at both speeds you really are screwed if you crash on a highway... and in the end most people dont even stick to the limit, I know I dont, its just to annoying going 10km/h or so under the speed of traffic when there is little difference in handling.... and it would be hard to police this as well because fixed cameras are only gonna get you for going above the actual set limit, cops driving really cant get you unless your going 20km/h+ over, and by the time cops checking speeds from a stationary position see your a p-plater it will be to late to chase it up, record plate details or bother with starting a chase when there are plenty more fish in the sea

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Police have been as normal in Canberra over the doubkle demerits.

Police in the hawkesbury are always very active, when I lived there I would be routinely pulled over and my brother continues this pattern. On one occassion I was RBT'd three times in one evening and twice in ten minutes.

I think P-platers (and L-platers especially) should be able to drive at the posted limit, it is frankly ridiculous to have to cruise along freeways, etc doing 80/90/100. And furthermore by restricting in this manner L-platers are not taught how to drive on highways and P-platers do not gain experience (except illegally) of doing so.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
In regards to having different speed limits, I'm all for it. I'm on my unrestricteds now, and even with the 4yrs driving experience I have (and I drive at least 2hrs a day, so its not as if I'm an infrequent driver), I know there is no way in hell I could do anything if I got into trouble going 110km/hr. Yeah, I do it, coz I'm allowed to, but if I have no hope of saving myself, I sure as hell don't want to see red P-platers do it.

As for the double-demerits, I've only seen a few cops out and about, each with people pulled over, and its like, "haha, you fucktard, as if you'd be stupid enough to do anything this weekend"

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Schoolies_2004 said:
I cant see the reason, 90kmh or 110km/h.... at both speeds you really are screwed if you crash on a highway... and in the end most people dont even stick to the limit, I know I dont, its just to annoying going 10km/h or so under the speed of traffic when there is little difference in handling.... and it would be hard to police this as well because fixed cameras are only gonna get you for going above the actual set limit, cops driving really cant get you unless your going 20km/h+ over, and by the time cops checking speeds from a stationary position see your a p-plater it will be to late to chase it up, record plate details or bother with starting a chase when there are plenty more fish in the sea
I'm inclined to think that the reason for speed limits on inexperienced drivers is because we are supposedly much more likely to have an accident, and if it's gonna be at a lower speed- then the results might not be so severe, or there might be a bigger gap to prevent the accident? *shrugs* But either way, I think the 90 limit is too low. I can understand why L platers need the 80 (they're beginners), but P Plates (Red) should be at least 100 in my opinion.

Jiga

In regards to having different speed limits, I'm all for it. I'm on my unrestricteds now, and even with the 4yrs driving experience I have (and I drive at least 2hrs a day, so its not as if I'm an infrequent driver), I know there is no way in hell I could do anything if I got into trouble going 110km/hr. Yeah, I do it, coz I'm allowed to, but if I have no hope of saving myself, I sure as hell don't want to see red P-platers do it.
Well driving in a straight line is a basic skill, the difference between 90km/h and 110km/h (like difference in handling etc) is nothing, and highways have slight bends and for the most part smooth roads so they are IM0 one of the safest places to drive (Obviously Im talking about the M5 etc, going up to Queensland etc isnt so safe) And as for a crash, if you fuck up at both speeds you can prity much assume your going to be a cripple or dead..... so who cares. I drive on the M5 like 4 times a week and it really has started shitting me that Ive started just doing 110km/h :wave:

I'm inclined to think that the reason for speed limits on inexperienced drivers is because we are supposedly much more likely to have an accident, and if it's gonna be at a lower speed- then the results might not be so severe, or there might be a bigger gap to prevent the accident? *shrugs* But either way, I think the 90 limit is too low. I can understand why L platers need the 80 (they're beginners), but P Plates (Red) should be at least 100 in my opinion.
Of all places a p-platers would have a crash I doubt the highway would be one, I dont know about other people but personally when I first started I was shitting myself, especially merging into traffic (on a highway that is)..... so I generally used common sense and went the 90km/h... but now Ive had lots of experience its just stupid having to go so slow when there are more retarded people on the road who struggle to do 60 let alone 110 with full licenses

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I think the 90 limit is too low. I can understand why L platers need the 80 (they're beginners), but P Plates (Red) should be at least 100 in my opinion.
So, in the half hour it takes you to go from L's to your reds, you think you miraculously gain the experience and skills to warrant going 20km faster?

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
If you can't drive at 100 without crashing by the time your ready to get your p's then you should never be allowed to drive. Personally i think you'd have to be retarded to crash on a highway, driving in a straight line is mighty difficult! Then again you can't controll everything, i.e something coming out infront of you, other drivers, blow outs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)