• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Drama Essay (1 Viewer)

sscarpellino

HSC
Drama Essays are very different to English Essays.

If someone out there could please help out....
we all know the basic differences but I seem to always still to be getting bad mark.

Love Soph

tanguyen

HSC
Even as much as we concentrate on writing THE drama essay, you really do have to end up rambling on about how the text "works as a piece of theatre" and as you may know already, anaylse it dramatically (dramatic tension, costume, lighting, acting style and so forth) A big no no in this drama essays (and this rule also applies to English essays) is retelling the play. You may think it helps when you retell the play but I did that and ended up getting 13/20 and a comment saying "you relied too heavily on retelling the story".

My best tip for you now, and something I'll definitely do as the HSC draws nearer, is that "practise makes perfect". When studying for drama, you might as well have a go at a past paper or something and then analyse your own mistakes. That way, you'll definitely avoid it better seeing as it is your own criticism. Hope that helps.

Lex818

HSC
I was told to refer to the audience [just like how english essays refer to the viewer/reader] and how it affects them [emotionally etc.]. However, a warning from my teacher was to avoid words that were commonly used in English essays such as Viewer, composer etc. Stick with dramatic terms rather than using alternative words.

This including what tanguyen stated should get u that extra to head you 2wards the top bands.

P.S. Take note of teacher's comments in your essays. I found that ever since ive followed mine, the marks have gotten slightly better. Therefore, don't be afraid to ask where u went wrong and wat u need 2 fix it.

HSC
Lex818 said:
I was told to refer to the audience [just like how english essays refer to the viewer/reader] and how it affects them [emotionally etc.]. However, a warning from my teacher was to avoid words that were commonly used in English essays such as Viewer, composer etc. Stick with dramatic terms rather than using alternative words.

This including what tanguyen stated should get u that extra to head you 2wards the top bands.

P.S. Take note of teacher's comments in your essays. I found that ever since ive followed mine, the marks have gotten slightly better. Therefore, don't be afraid to ask where u went wrong and wat u need 2 fix it.
So instead of using 'Viewer, composer' what do u use???

Lex818

HSC
SuNrIsE_oVa_sEa said:
So instead of using 'Viewer, composer' what do u use???
For viewer, stick to Audience. and Playwright to composer. Even though they may mean the same thing, the dramatic terms show the marker that u actually know the subject. [This applies to all others as well, especially in science]

If u feel ure repeating urself, [which is common for me in essays] change the format of the sentance rather than replace key dramatic terms with alternative words.

e.g. - Constantly repeating the word "Audience"
The playwright conveys A, B & C to the audience through X, Y & Z. The audience also gains D & E through a different view of X. The audience also... etc etc.

Changed - Less repetition
The playwright conveys A, B & C through X, Y & Z. However through a different view of X, the audience is able to gain D & E. Furthermore... etc etc.

Avoid spectator as well. Last time i wrote that in my essay, teacher crossed the word out and wrote in big red writing: "Spectator is for a football game! This is a dramatic play!"

Last edited:

kyle.sawyer

HSC
Hey. The main idea is similar to an english essay (answer the question), but do so expressing your knowlege of dramatic elements (i.e. staging, verbal & non-verbal communication, lighting, costume, etc).

And DON'T retell the text, play or whatever! The examiner ALREADY KNOWS what they are marking! Focus on dramatic elements.

Good luck, Mate.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
know your play back to front.

have quotes that can be used to express your opinion.

research the playwright and writings on the text and use external sources to boost your knowledge.

don't waffle on about the same thing hoping that the examiner will appreciate the pretty writing, they wont.

be able to talk about the texts in physical form (staging, directorial additions) and through this present your argument.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)