drawing sqrt(f(x)) (1 Viewer)

.ben

HSC
When drawing graphs with sqrt(f(x)), how do you know when the branch has an inflexion point or not, without differentiating?

thanks

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
My understanding of the square root of the f(x) is that it looks like the original function except it's flatter and doesn't exist when f(x) < 0. If the original function has an inflexion point, the square root of it will too at the same point (but flatter and lower down on the y-axis).

I_F

.ben

HSC
oh ok, but sometimes you get graphs which don't have inflections but after taking sqrt you get an inflection. i just need to know what kind of shape it is. e.g. does it branch off like a parabola or cubic etc. i drew a diagram, it's just the shape of the red branch.

thanks again

Raginsheep

HSC
From what I remember, its actually fairly hard to determine the square root of certain graphs without resorting to calculus.

adgala

HSC
your picture looks correct as long as where the 2 graphs intersect is where f(x) = 1 and sqrt f(x) = 1

_ShiFTy_

HSC
Just ignore the "dont use calculus part"...as long as you cross out the calculus stuff off on your hsc paper, the markers arent supposed to read it

.ben

HSC
I drew another one can someone tell me which one it is?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
From Shifty's point, remove the red bits below the x-axis and it should be right.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
You have drawn ±sqrt[f(x)]; so if you remove all the parts below the x axis youll be fine because the question only required you to draw +sqrt[f(x)]

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I didn't want to make the intersection points with y=1 look like inflection points, that's why the black and red lines are a little too close, but you get the idea. :uhhuh:

.ben

HSC
wait, so are there inflections of teh sqrt(f(x)) or not?

shsshs

HSC
no note really. especially when ur just given the sketch of a function f(x) and not told the actual function.

if you are given a function, dont draw inflexions initially but you should check if you have time

Raginsheep

HSC
Normally, if they specifiy "without using calculus", then they don't expect you to know where the inflections if they even exist.

Or you could just look at the marking scheme. 2marks generally means correct shape and stat points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)