• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dreamliner vs SuperJumbo (1 Viewer)

BritneySpears

Banned
HSC
Which one would you prefer to fly the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner vs Airbus' A380 Superjumbo?

For me the twin engine of dreamliner worries me in case if those engines fails on a flight from Syd to Lax or London. Superjumbo have 4 engines but the sheer size and weight also concerns me. Therefor I'll continue flying in Boeing's 747 instead :D

Last edited:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
The dearmliner, there a higher chance of of something going wrong on the jumbo. It doesnt matter how man engine the plane has. As you said if one of the engines on the dreamliner broke, the plane is screwed. If one of the engines on the A380 fails, the weight of the plane could be a huge problem for the remaning 3:)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ive always liked airbuses, so id go with the airbus a380
looks kinda groovy, so next time i go overseas, i hope to travel on one of those :)

James747

HSC
There is no higher chance of "danger" in a twin engined plane than a four engined plane. A plane can still fly and land safely with one engine running (there has been a case where both engines on an Air Canada have lost power but it still managed to glide bak to an airport), and planes are also designed to be able to takeoff, fly and land with only one engine running for a period of time in case of emergencies. The number of engines on a plane are determined by the amount of thrust required, not for "safety" reasons due to size.

I persoanlly like the Airbus 380 better cuzi reckon it'll bring new standards to air travel. Cant wait to fly on one, one day. ><" 787's not bad neither, but seeing that it hasnt even had first flight I don't see any solid promises yet.

O~ and btw, the 787 got unveiled yesterday morning. Did anyone watch it?

rozymisty

HSC
There was that story a few weeks ago where the plane tumbled out of the sky several times coz of fatiuge they shut down all engines and stuff, and then restarted. They can easily fly on 1 engine. And like james said, they can glide for a bit.

I've only flown with Virgin Blue to Sydney and Melbourne, so not exactly a big plane. I always sit behind or in front of the wing coz thats teh safest apparently (although not if the engines are on fire!) and when we've landed im like please slow down the plane haha. Im paranoid person lol.

BritneySpears

Banned
HSC
I watched that on i think 7, air crash investigation. In the past 4 engined Aircraft are thought to be more reliable and only 4 engined aircraft are allowed to fly over the Pacific and Atlantic else they have to stay within a certain route and within certain distance from nearest airport for emergency landing. For example From NY to London a twin engined had to fly north along new Foundland in Canada then along greenland and iceland then southwards to London.

That rule has now been abandoned and twin engined aircraft can now fly anywhere and any route. But I still prefer four engined aircraft ie 747 or A340 over twin engined aircraft 767 or 777. That might change with the new 787 dreamliner.

Edit. Not abandoned but largely relaxed due to engine efficiency of new aircraft.

Last edited:

James747

HSC
Four engines aircrafts were the only ones allowed to fly over the Pacific (or large masses of water) because they were the only ones that could.

James747

HSC
Tulipa said:
Can't wait to go on the A380 on the Sydney - LA route.

The sheer size will be amazing.
I cant wait too. First route will be London to Sydney via Singapore by Singapore Airlines. Good news for them, too, as Airbus says that they will be able to deliver it a month (or even two) early!

James747

HSC
Well, i can confirm from reliable sources that the first plane will be delivered ahead of schedule to singapore airlines, so yes, it is a miracle for airbus! xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)