• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dressmakers (1 Viewer)

kaylz

HSC
I've designed my formal dress, and have a rough idea of the materials that I plan to use. Does anyone know what it might cost to have a dress made? I can get my mum's friend to do it, but I just wanted to know how much it might cost to have a pro do it? And is anyone else designing their dress? Or having it custom made?

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
my mate had a formal dress tailored in thailand and it cost 120.
here it wouldve cost 400...

kaylz

HSC
AtticusFinch said:
my mate had a formal dress tailored in thailand and it cost 120.
here it wouldve cost 400...
that's always an option i suppose... like i could get my dad to have it made while he's away on business over there or in singapore or something... My mum's friend would do it for free, but she lives in nz- which isn't an issue either cos we go there quite often. I just wondered what sydney prices are on average. $400 you say? hmmm i planned on spending a lot on really nice, expensive materials and getting it made cheaply.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
kaylz said:
that's always an option i suppose... like i could get my dad to have it made while he's away on business over there or in singapore or something... My mum's friend would do it for free, but she lives in nz- which isn't an issue either cos we go there quite often. I just wondered what sydney prices are on average. $400 you say? hmmm i planned on spending a lot on really nice, expensive materials and getting it made cheaply.
fair enough but what if they fuck it up? you only get one chance... i think it will be a matter of an extra hundred to get the good materials and a good tailor... i got a tailored suit made in thailand (pinstripe you know its awesome!) by a good tailor and it was a bit more expensive but sooooo worth it. the amount of girls who have complimented it...... :uhhuh:

kaylz

HSC
AtticusFinch said:
fair enough but what if they fuck it up? you only get one chance... i think it will be a matter of an extra hundred to get the good materials and a good tailor... i got a tailored suit made in thailand (pinstripe you know its awesome!) by a good tailor and it was a bit more expensive but sooooo worth it. the amount of girls who have complimented it...... :uhhuh:
hmmmm yeah. It is worth it. I mean, when you think that every girl there will have spent $500 on a dress that looks exactly like all of the others, it'd be worth it to have one made that I like...

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
kaylz said:
hmmmm yeah. It is worth it. I mean, when you think that every girl there will have spent $500 on a dress that looks exactly like all of the others, it'd be worth it to have one made that I like...
you want a hilary duff moment dont you... like in cinderella story (why have i seen that?) where she walks in and every one stops.... and looks.
and yes your right it is worth it, same price. better looking/fitting dress.

kaylz

HSC
lol not exactly... i just want to have the perfect dress. lol. yeah okay. a hilary duff moment. and i haven't seen that movie, so i'll take your word for it...

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
kaylz said:
lol not exactly... i just want to have the perfect dress. lol. yeah okay. a hilary duff moment. and i haven't seen that movie, so i'll take your word for it...
just kidding.......
but thats what we will call it ;)

kaylz

HSC
lol at the hilary duff thing. and thanks trippendicular...

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i want my formal dress made. i want an original dress, that no one else has... the only way i see that happning is if i get it made. but i have no idea how to go about doing that. I dont know any dressmakers or anything

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
shellybelly087 said:
i want my formal dress made. i want an original dress, that no one else has... the only way i see that happning is if i get it made. but i have no idea how to go about doing that. I dont know any dressmakers or anything
make it urself, then it will be one of a kind

totally original and unique

kaylz

HSC
yeah i can't sew. plus i'd rather have someone else make it. i've designed it. that's enough for me.

Pierotte

HSC
hmmm i thought about getting mine made... but the thing is u cant try it on... like sometimes a dress will look just perfect on the hanger... and u try it on, and it just looks odd, or it looks shit on the hanger, but for some reason u try it on and it looks hot...
what if i spend all this money on a dress and it just doesnt suit me!!??

geez... i cant belive im thinking about formal dresses already.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
Its always good if you know someone who can make your formal dress. I had my one made by a friend's mum and I paid about $80 for material (Cabramatta is the way to go) and she only charged me like, $50 for handwork. Score! But apart from that, you can always go to dressmakers in Cabramatta and get quotes on how much they charge just for handwork (buy the material yourself because you can shop around for cheaper ones no to mention get the exact colour)

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
Pierotte said:
geez... i cant belive im thinking about formal dresses already.
It is never too early to start thinking about formal dresses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)