Drop physics or SDD next year? (1 Viewer)

yessssssss

HSC
Currently in year 11 wanting to do computer science. Are both of these subjects helpful, which of them is most helpful for computer science UNSW. Thank you.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Currently in year 11 wanting to do computer science. Are both of these subjects helpful, which of them is most helpful for computer science UNSW. Thank you.
Hey I'm in the same situation as you as I'm planning to drop IPT and I am planning to do computer science as well. I really don't think there's an edge in choosing one subject over another since UNSW Computer Science does not have any assumed knowledge subjects except for Mathematics Extension 1. In recommended subjects, both Physics and SDD come up as recommended subjects due to the subjects being as some form of precursors. Personally I would not base off dropping one subject over another due to the relevancy of the content to the university course but more rather which content you enjoy more - and which one you do better in. I think you would have understood this because if you enjoy a subject more, you might have been more motivated to study it for a longer duration without burning out as quick or even go beyond the syllabus as opposed to subjects which you don't enjoy and just cram at; in the end the subject with your greater interest would on average lead to better marks.

For me, I'm doing extremely well in IPT and decent in physics but I have a greater enjoyment for physics overall so I'm leaning towards the latter. Someone who has does the UNSW computer science degree or is doing could have better input in the relevancy of topics but from my perspective,I really doubt the content you learn over 1 year in either subject will give you a major edge over another. The advice I got for preparing myself for a CS degree was to code in my spare time and I'm just coding on python or java whenever I feel bored of studying or have free time.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
The post above is pretty good advice. The biggest asset you can have going into comp sci is knowing some basic programming. If you haven't done some in your spare time before it may be a good idea to take SDD as you'll have a major project and all. If you do have basic programming knowledge SDD won't really give you any advantage. I suggest just go with whichever one you like more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)