• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Droping extension 1 (1 Viewer)

xtextedx

HSC
N/A
Hi after going into yr 12 and having my first exam for 3 unit I'm failing at 37% and only getting 72% in advanced. So I was looking at dropping 3 unit and just concentrating on 2 unit. My question is if I persevere with 3 unit and end up with a pass mark will I gain anything on my uai. I know I could probably get my advanced mark up to around 85%.

Regards, Chris :worried:

Affinity

HSC
xtextedx said:
My question is if I persevere with 3 unit and end up with a pass mark will I gain anything on my uai.
No. Assuming you get atleast around 80 for other subjects

But I suggest that you keep 3 units of mathematics

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
I see from your profile that you've got 13 units? So if 3U maths is not working out, I guess you could safely drop it (you'll still have 2 units to fall back on). I'm also assuming that you're doing quite well in your non-maths subjects and that 3U is an anomaly.

After reading your criticisms of your school, if your teachers aren't going to be helpful and will just lower your morale, I'm thinking perhaps it may be better to drop. Having said this, even if your teachers can't be relied on, do you have other support? Friends who would help you out with maths?

And the other point "for" keeping 3U maths I guess would be that it pulls up your 2U marks indirectly. That extra homework you do for 3U is extra practice and may give you stronger maths skills than a pure 2U student.

bos1234

HSC
If you THINK u can work harder and get a pass mark then u should keep it. Your 2 unit marks will increase alot as well. Just try and do the half yearlies. Then decide from there//

bos1234

HSC
and almost forgot.. are u behind in the 3 unit work? if so u should try and catch up these holidays.

HSC
I was in the same position last year....I wanted to drop it and concentrate on two unit...but i was persuaded to keep it, and I am glad I was persuaded to. I suggest you keep three unit. I failed my first assessment task as well...I failed the trial HSC....never got a higher raw mark than 55% in any assessment task/exam I sat (that includes the HSC exam), and still ended up with 74% due to awesome scaling. It even ended up counting to my UAI....because it was higher than my japanese mark...although my mark was 70% in that.

It all depends on how you are going in your other subjects...There is still a chance it would count towards your UAI...

but having said that....if it helps 72% isn't half bad...that's a comfortable band 5, if you improve little by little come you would be pushing for a band 6 easy....but it might help to hold onto three unit, take it as your non serious subject to help your two unit...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
xtextedx said:
Hi after going into yr 12 and having my first exam for 3 unit I'm failing at 37% and only getting 72% in advanced. So I was looking at dropping 3 unit and just concentrating on 2 unit. My question is if I persevere with 3 unit and end up with a pass mark will I gain anything on my uai. I know I could probably get my advanced mark up to around 85%.

Regards, Chris :worried:
I beg you, don't give up man. Don't let yourself down.
Mathematics Extension 1 is worth keeping.
I pulled up my socks and I got good marks for my first HSC MX1 assessment.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Also mx1 might be required for the uni course you are looking at

kkewi90

MUAHAHHAHAA~~
HSC
keep it and give yourself a challenge lol

P

pLuvia

It's very rewarding if you do well in this subject or even just average, I recommend keeping this subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)