dropping down (1 Viewer)

Benny23118

well, i know it's HEAPS late, but i've decided to drop down to general, because i'm going SHOCKING at 2U, like, 30%.
There's one more maths assessment on friday, then trials next term.
And as i know it, they completely ignore your past marks when you drop down, so instead of this assessment and my trial counting for 20% and 40%, they'll count for 33.333% and 66.666%.
so i was wondering, do you think i should wait until after this assessment on friday to drop down? so i have more time and then risk it all on the trial? or cram this week to get ready for the one on friday?

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
I dunno... I reckon that cramming would be a good option... even if its only for this test.

I think you'd be underestimating general to drop down now... because theres several things that you wont have learnt in two unit that could be in the general test.

My advice would be to get so much help from your maths teachers this week, practise everything you can lay your hands on and do the test on friday. If you still go bad, then dropping down would be cool. But you have to learn heaps of stuff so you can recognise it in the test.

Good luck.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
great post wW

yeah dudes you got to be committed and im not saying for this exam only.both the courses are different, ive went through what you are currently going thru. although it might seem to be esay, you still want to do the best you can.
either way, good luck.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
If you've consistently been performing bad in 2u, then you should have thought of dropping sooner.
Remember if you drop you'll have lots to catch up on, but it is possible. If you stay, then you'll need to work your ass off. It's up to you and what you think is best.

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
if i were u i would drop down, i did and i got the uai that i wanted even though my general mark was scaled badly! and 2 be honest general is a course that u can cover fairly quickly if u r reasonably good @ maths!

dritz2003

HSC
N/A
I just dropped down in May... General Maths is SO EASY if you have been understanding what's going on in 2U... even just slightly. Before I was sweating it out, trying in a vain attempt to get my head around those curves, but now I'm in General I feel like I'm back in control again. What's the point of 2U Maths anyway? General has all the real-life stuff like loans and interest calculation.
Just drop down and be happy. You won't regret it.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
If you're really so willing to work hard to catch up in general, why don't you put that sort of effort in 2u instead?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by imsooverskool
if i were u i would drop down, i did and i got the uai that i wanted even though my general mark was scaled badly! and 2 be honest general is a course that u can cover fairly quickly if u r reasonably good @ maths!
If you're reasonably good at maths you shouldn't be doing general...

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I was in 2U at the start of last year. I was going terrible with a mark of <30% for my first test. I then continued to see if l just had a weakness in that area but l wasn't good at 2U at all. I talked to my teacher and my tutor and they both suggested that l drop.

I went down to general 1/4 of the way into the prelim year. I only had to catch up on one chapter.

Now l wish l didn't drop as now l want to be a maths teacher (l enjoy maths so much) so l will have to firgure out a way of teaching maths with only general maths under my belt - for some reason l think its highly impossible.

malkin86

HSC
Mitsuri, did you enjoy maths and want to be a maths teacher when you were in your 2U class last year?

I know g maths is much more enjoyable for me personally than maths advanced ever was in the junior years.

Benny, doesn't 33.3repeata% and 66.6repeata% add up to 99.9repeata%?

Last edited:

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by malkin86
Mitsuri, did you enjoy maths and want to be a maths teacher when you were in your 2U class last year?

I know g maths is much more enjoyable for me personally than maths advanced ever was in the junior years.

Benny, doesn't 33.3repeata% and 66.6repeata% add up to 99.9repeata%?
I didn't like maths when l did 2U. I didn't enjoy it until l got my tutor who showed me to like and love maths.

I think that after l do general l might try and do 2U l don't know how..if l can do it at TAFE that would be fantastic.

WW - l am going quite good at general...81% for the half yearly...compared to <30% for 2U :)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by Without Wings
ahh there so think of g maths as an investment into obtaining the uai you need to get into the course you want :)
congrats on a good mark :)
Thanks WW. I see where your coming from :)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
malkin
99.99.... = 100 :p
I agree tho...2u maths gets boring and a little tedious sometimes. Like those mindless coordinate geometry questions that are so textbook style.

Becc

i don't think theres anything wrong with being reasonably good at maths and doing general.
i was told to do 3/4u when i was in year 9 and 10.
but i always knew that i was just going to general.
I'd rather go really well at that then not as good in 2u.

I personally think its a bit late to be dropping.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yeah, you could be good at math but find the general content more interesting. God knows it's certainly more relevant to society.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)