• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dropping math ext 1? (1 Viewer)

nrom

HSC
Hello!
I'm currently on 11 units and I have been debating if I should drop math ext 1. I ended not studying for my math ext 1 trials due to my procrastination and ended up getting a 30/70, putting my average for ext 1 marks at around 55%-60% overall and my final rank at 38/56. I've talked to my maths teacher about it and she suggested that I should stay as when I do study, I don't do too bad.

My main concern is that for most, if not all, topics in math ext 1 do not come naturally to me at all, I find myself having to spend a lot more time learning the content and forgetting it fast because I don't fully get the theory or idea behind it. I don't enjoy studying math ext 1 either and I don't know if I'm willing to put the extra time to study math ext 1. I've also wanted to make time for advance maths after getting humbled by the trials.

I was wondering if I should drop math ext 1? Would there be any benefits for me keeping it?

Any thoughts or advice are welcome! Thank you :)!

wollongong warrior

HSC
Hello!
I'm currently on 11 units and I have been debating if I should drop math ext 1. I ended not studying for my math ext 1 trials due to my procrastination and ended up getting a 30/70, putting my average for ext 1 marks at around 55%-60% overall and my final rank at 38/56. I've talked to my maths teacher about it and she suggested that I should stay as when I do study, I don't do too bad.

My main concern is that for most, if not all, topics in math ext 1 do not come naturally to me at all, I find myself having to spend a lot more time learning the content and forgetting it fast because I don't fully get the theory or idea behind it. I don't enjoy studying math ext 1 either and I don't know if I'm willing to put the extra time to study math ext 1. I've also wanted to make time for advance maths after getting humbled by the trials.

I was wondering if I should drop math ext 1? Would there be any benefits for me keeping it?

Any thoughts or advice are welcome! Thank you :)!
You didn't study for the trial so how can you become humbled by it? There are benefits to studying mx1: your transition into uni maths will be smoother, learning to overcome challenging things is extremely beneficial to your life in general, and learning to just thug uninteresting things out is also really helpful
Don't drop if it's to just "make time for your other subjects", it'll make you learn to juggle priorities in your life

nrom

HSC
You didn't study for the trial so how can you become humbled by it? There are benefits to studying mx1: your transition into uni maths will be smoother, learning to overcome challenging things is extremely beneficial to your life in general, and learning to just thug uninteresting things out is also really helpful
Don't drop if it's to just "make time for your other subjects", it'll make you learn to juggle priorities in your life
Sorry, to clarify, I meant humbled by the advance trial exam specifically, I did study for the advance trials and did well compared to the grade but not as well as I expected and struggled with the timing for some part. I fully expected the consequence of not studying for maths ext 1 before I went through with it.

But thank you, I really appreciate it! I’ll take all of that into account.

wollongong warrior

HSC
Sorry, to clarify, I meant humbled by the advance trial exam specifically, I did study for the advance trials and did well compared to the grade but not as well as I expected and struggled with the timing for some part. I fully expected the consequence of not studying for maths ext 1 before I went through with it.

But thank you, I really appreciate it! I’ll take all of that into account.
Ah my bad, I misinterpreted it
But just know, mx1 is just adv maths but harder so if you practice the former, the latter will come much easier

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)