• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dropping Out Of Uni (1 Viewer)

UnI`SUx

HSC
Hey guys! im just a stressed mofo here trying to figure out whether or not to drop outta uni ...

im a first yr first sem student thats finding commerce jus plain boring, all the textbooks are incomprehensible and blah basically the whole idea of uni gives me the shudders....

yet im hestitating cos im scared of what the future holds for me if i drop out ...jus scared of making a big mistake ...

anyone else here feel like droppin out??????

sunny

meh.
HSC
Considered transferring to something you don't find so boring?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
if i were you, i would stick it out until at least the end of semester, the HECS date has well and truly passed, so you're paying for it, and chances are the date for Withdrawal without Academic Penalty has passed too, so you would receive a fail on your record..
stick it out and then defer next semester or try for a mid year transfer or something.

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
Originally posted by UnI`SUx
im a first yr first sem student thats finding commerce jus plain boring, all the textbooks are incomprehensible and blah basically the whole idea of uni gives me the shudders....

no....commerce is the best. its not that hard man....commerce is just a lot of theory. takes time to understand it. esp since ur 1st yr so ur still adjusting from school.

santaslayer

HSC
Commerce does suck...and im not helping by saying that it sux.....but i would continue to do it even if it was that sucky....i dunno why, just would.....

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
Originally posted by UnI`SUx
Hey guys! im just a stressed mofo here trying to figure out whether or not to drop outta uni ...

yet im hestitating cos im scared of what the future holds for me if i drop out ...jus scared of making a big mistake ...

i feel like dropping out but im scared my parents might kick the shit out of me and i might end up dead.... so you should think like me... dont let your parents beat the shit out of you....

im not into uni cuz its pretty different to high school... its like starting life out again...

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
chances are the date for Withdrawal without Academic Penalty has passed too
I don't think so.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Stick with commerce for another semester, get a few more of your core subjects out of the way and see if you find an interest in any of the other commerce major strands.... and if you still don't like it, then worry about it... a lot of first semester is just getting used to uni and its differences from high school, and it takes time settling in, it's like how the kindagarten kiddies take a while to come to grips with primary school because of the change.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
man, first year commerce rules! you can bludge without really having to worry...2nd and 3rd year is more intense

but if you are having difficulties, see the faculty councillor, you can talk to him/her about your probs and they can suggest some solutions

peepee

loser.
HSC
Originally posted by Orange Juice
i feel like dropping out but im scared my parents might kick the shit out of me and i might end up dead.... so you should think like me... dont let your parents beat the shit out of you....
lol that's what my parents did to me when i dropped out of uni...
well not really but i got a lot of verbal abuse thrown at me

anyway UnI`SUx, i dropped out before the hecs cut off so yeah
but it isn't that scary, i mean there are plenty of other options out there...

but there are only a few weeks until the end of semester...you reckon you could chin it until then?

Last edited:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Do you know what you're going to do when you drop out? i reckon you should work out whether you're
1. not enjoying uni, or
2. not enjoying commerce

either way, i think you should stick out this semester (we're half way through), and defer next semester?
there's no point in staying uni if you're not liking it, but sus out why you're not enjoying uni first.. if it's simply that it's different to high school.. well obviously we can't go back to high school, so anything you do will be different.
or you can work out whether you're studying commerce for the right reasons. now that you've gotten a taste of it, and know that you don't like it, there is still so much time to make other choices. you're only in first year, once you get to 2nd year you'll probably be like, ahh just finish off the degree. before you know it you would've wasted so much of your youth doing stuff you don't like. if you don't like a course, then you don't like it. sticking it out might make it better, but it probably won't. and if you don't like it, you probably won't do well in it either. it's better to get out of it now, rather than graduating with the course (or failing and not, which is probably even worse) and then realising you have to look for a full-time job with the qualifications that will get you jobs you don't want.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
ppl who sh*t me on boredofstudies

melbournian- usyd
santaslayer-wollongong
dingo- uws

hahaha

Ribbon

haha melbournian that was a good call but harsh nonetheless and you deserved what you got back :D

I don't mind commerce, I agree the subjects are boring but that is because most of the compulsary subjects are geared towards finance and accoutning and I am planning to major in management and marketing. I am just looking forward to having all those boring subjects over and getting stuck into something really good. also, I think its awesome how cushy commerce subjects are at the mo cos it lets me focus more on law, and getting into the swing of things...

so my advice is just to confirm what some other said: if you don't like the commerce degree look ahead to the subjects you might think of studying in the future. if they still sound crap, transfer, if you like the sound of them, stick it out cos it is ineveitable that you have to do some boring subjects to get to the good ones...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)