Dropping to English Standard midway through the year (1 Viewer)

comeback6969

HSC
Hi,
im trying to drop to English standard after doing two tasks in advanced where I have ultimately decided that I want to drop. Can the school stop me from doing this. I spoke with them etc and they advised me not to drop due to the fact that I I have to study a whole new text myself which I am more than willing to.

they only told me they advise me to stay in advanced and seek more help so does this mean they rejected my request?

What do I do? Is the schools decision final? Or am I able to call up nesa for backup lmao

carrotsss

HSC
I’m pretty sure the school is perfectly allowed to do this.

Also, I really wouldn’t recommend dropping at all. I used to do English standard, and trust me, the content isn’t all that different, the scaling:effort ratio is the same (except you have to get a really high mark to do well because the standards are lower). The only big difference between standard and advanced is that instead of being surrounded by really smart kids who motivate you and provide competition, you’ll be surrounded by dropkicks who won’t do any work and won’t encourage you to try in English at all. And on top of that, dropping this late pretty much means that you’ll have to study 2 extra texts (e.g. even more work), and so ultimately I can 100% guarantee it is both less work and better for your ATAR to stay in advanced.

I know English is hard and I can totally relate to how you feel, but if you stick with it, it’s possible to save your results.

popsmokeswife

HSC
Hi,
im trying to drop to English standard after doing two tasks in advanced where I have ultimately decided that I want to drop. Can the school stop me from doing this. I spoke with them etc and they advised me not to drop due to the fact that I I have to study a whole new text myself which I am more than willing to.

they only told me they advise me to stay in advanced and seek more help so does this mean they rejected my request?

What do I do? Is the schools decision final? Or am I able to call up nesa for backup lmao
i think it depends. If ur getting like 20 percent then yes cause ur dragging ur average down and impacting ur classmates.

however if ur getting like 60 plus then stay cause u can put in the effort and scaling will help u out.

If u really really want to the school cant stop u ( or atleast in my school) youd just have to like bring ur parents in and give legimate reasons not "im not bothered"
good luck and hope u make the right choice!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If your school has advised you not to drop, then that implies that you are able to drop to English Standard if you wish, although your school recommends that you keep English Advanced. However, if your school explicitly mentioned that you are not allowed to drop to English Standard at this stage, then you are not able to drop. From your post, it appears that the former applies.

Essentially, a teacher is responsible for recommending a particular course of action according to their perspective of a student's current situation in a particular subject, which includes consideration of their performance. If your teacher recommended that you keep English Advanced and seek assistance, it is likely that they believe that you can improve your performance if you put in the effort and regularly seek feedback. However, you are also responsible for decisions that you make in terms of your subject combination. Because of this, you may wish to either take your teacher's advice or make a different choice. In doing so, you should carefully consider whether you strongly believe that you can effectively analyse one (or more) new text(s) on your own.

Technically speaking, you are free to study the prescribed texts of your choice for each module, regardless of whether you keep English Advanced or drop to English Standard. The HSC exam requires responses with reference to the texts that you have studied, which can be any of the prescribed texts and not necessarily the same prescribed texts that you have studied in class.

With that being said, my personal recommendation is the same as that of your school and carrotsss. A simple comparison of your circumstances if you keep English Advanced versus your circumstances if you drop to English Standard would lead you to two important points:
  • The workload that you would impose on yourself should you drop to Standard may be overwhelming and unjustified/unreasonable.
  • The alignment of English Advanced is superior to that of English Standard. With a bit more determination and diligence, you should hopefully be able to achieve favourable results in English Advanced.
I hope this helps! :D

comeback6969

HSC
i get everyones opinion about staying in Advanced. But because i've messed up my first two tasks I feel that my chances of band 6 are extremely slim and i feel that even at this stage if I drop to Standard i have a better chance of band 6 and maybe even sr. Weirdly enough, my goal isn't highest atar well it is but I would much rather b6 all my subjects.... and I feel like doing std will definitely make my life alot easier and less stressful/anxious. I get bad anxiety in my advanced class often and its not a good feeling, used to get it in math advanced but ever since i'ved dropped to std, my lifes been so much better lol.

comeback6969

HSC
If your school has advised you not to drop, then that implies that you are able to drop to English Standard if you wish, although your school recommends that you keep English Advanced. However, if your school explicitly mentioned that you are not allowed to drop to English Standard at this stage, then you are not able to drop. From your post, it appears that the former applies.

Essentially, a teacher is responsible for recommending a particular course of action according to their perspective of a student's current situation in a particular subject, which includes consideration of their performance. If your teacher recommended that you keep English Advanced and seek assistance, it is likely that they believe that you can improve your performance if you put in the effort and regularly seek feedback. However, you are also responsible for decisions that you make in terms of your subject combination. Because of this, you may wish to either take your teacher's advice or make a different choice. In doing so, you should carefully consider whether you strongly believe that you can effectively analyse one (or more) new text(s) on your own.

Technically speaking, you are free to study the prescribed texts of your choice for each module, regardless of whether you keep English Advanced or drop to English Standard. The HSC exam requires responses with reference to the texts that you have studied, which can be any of the prescribed texts and not necessarily the same prescribed texts that you have studied in class.

With that being said, my personal recommendation is the same as that of your school and carrotsss. A simple comparison of your circumstances if you keep English Advanced versus your circumstances if you drop to English Standard would lead you to two important points:
  • The workload that you would impose on yourself should you drop to Standard may be overwhelming and unjustified/unreasonable.
  • The alignment of English Advanced is superior to that of English Standard. With a bit more determination and diligence, you should hopefully be able to achieve favourable results in English Advanced.
I hope this helps! :D
while I feel like I can do English Advanced, i just feel like i will enjoy my life alot more and consequently get better results and etc and whether I drop or not, im going to put a crazy amount of workload but I feel like this workload I put in will more likely get me results in standard than in Advanced. I don't care about the scaling to be honest, I mean as long as I b6 somehow shouldn't be a big problem.

comeback6969

HSC
I’m pretty sure the school is perfectly allowed to do this.

Also, I really wouldn’t recommend dropping at all. I used to do English standard, and trust me, the content isn’t all that different, the scaling:effort ratio is the same (except you have to get a really high mark to do well because the standards are lower). The only big difference between standard and advanced is that instead of being surrounded by really smart kids who motivate you and provide competition, you’ll be surrounded by dropkicks who won’t do any work and won’t encourage you to try in English at all. And on top of that, dropping this late pretty much means that you’ll have to study 2 extra texts (e.g. even more work), and so ultimately I can 100% guarantee it is both less work and better for your ATAR to stay in advanced.

I know English is hard and I can totally relate to how you feel, but if you stick with it, it’s possible to save your results.
Honestly, for me I feel that I know English isn't hard but I've just not put in enough effort and I know thats not a good excuse but im extremely motivated that it doesn't matter to me about my external environment. It's just that i feel really stressed and get bad anxiety when im in English Advanced because I feel lost most of the time. It might be better work but I feel like I will indeed achieve better results in standard than in Advanced.

carrotsss

HSC
i get everyones opinion about staying in Advanced. But because i've messed up my first two tasks I feel that my chances of band 6 are extremely slim and i feel that even at this stage if I drop to Standard i have a better chance of band 6 and maybe even sr. Weirdly enough, my goal isn't highest atar well it is but I would much rather b6 all my subjects.... and I feel like doing std will definitely make my life alot easier and less stressful/anxious. I get bad anxiety in my advanced class often and its not a good feeling, used to get it in math advanced but ever since i'ved dropped to std, my lifes been so much better lol.
Getting a band 6 is standard isn’t easy at all, literally 1% of standard kids band 6, it’s harder than advanced if anything due to the worse alignment. Trust me the difference between advanced and standard isn’t as big as you think, it’s still of similar difficulty with the added bonus of having to go back and study 2 texts, which is tons of extra work.

aulinia

HSC
Honestly, for me I feel that I know English isn't hard but I've just not put in enough effort and I know thats not a good excuse but im extremely motivated that it doesn't matter to me about my external environment. It's just that i feel really stressed and get bad anxiety when im in English Advanced because I feel lost most of the time. It might be better work but I feel like I will indeed achieve better results in standard than in Advanced.
Dropping down to standard doesnt mean you can guarantee a band 6, and like carrotss said the content is quite similar, especially since you’ll need to study a whole text by yourself (albeit there may be resources online to aid you in this). You still have another assessment task, trials and hsc which mean theres time to make up your mark in case you’re worried about your past performances.

But at the same time, your anxiety about advanced should definitely considered. This could affect your performance and overall your motivation for the subject, because like you said, you don’t enjoy studying for it which could make it harder. I definitely understand that anxiety in english - even after being ranked first and doing 3u in prelim i felt anxious entering the classroom and was too shy to participate in class discussions. I highly recommend speaking to a professional about it, whether thats at your school or outside of it, whatever will help you alleviate stress from english.

At the end of the day, you have the potential to succeed in both no matter what you choose. Make sure youre making an informed decision thats based on whats best for you. Wish u the best of luck!! :)

comeback6969

HSC
Dropping down to standard doesnt mean you can guarantee a band 6, and like carrotss said the content is quite similar, especially since you’ll need to study a whole text by yourself (albeit there may be resources online to aid you in this). You still have another assessment task, trials and hsc which mean theres time to make up your mark in case you’re worried about your past performances.

But at the same time, your anxiety about advanced should definitely considered. This could affect your performance and overall your motivation for the subject, because like you said, you don’t enjoy studying for it which could make it harder. I definitely understand that anxiety in english - even after being ranked first and doing 3u in prelim i felt anxious entering the classroom and was too shy to participate in class discussions. I highly recommend speaking to a professional about it, whether thats at your school or outside of it, whatever will help you alleviate stress from english.

At the end of the day, you have the potential to succeed in both no matter what you choose. Make sure youre making an informed decision thats based on whats best for you. Wish u the best of luck!! :)
Yea I definitely understand that getting a band 6 in standard is crazy hard but I will obviously put in the effort and etc. I don't mean to undervalue the band 6 rate in std but at this rate, I will probably have a higher chance in b6 std than adv because if I'm able to come first internally, I will defintely have a higher chance than being internally ranked like 20/25 or smth in adv in a school with average 3 b6 advanced. I do lowkey speak to a professional about my mental health. Alot of it was when I was in math advanced, until I dropped I was suffering miserably mentally where in math standard, it allowed me to come to school more and enjoy school a bit. I just feel like for my mental at this stage, standard is the way. I haven't spoken to anyone about my English dropping because I feel like I won't die if im forced to stay in advanced but it will defintely make me feel sad lol. Thanks for your input, I might consider speaking to someone about it.

aulinia

HSC
Yea I definitely understand that getting a band 6 in standard is crazy hard but I will obviously put in the effort and etc. I don't mean to undervalue the band 6 rate in std but at this rate, I will probably have a higher chance in b6 std than adv because if I'm able to come first internally, I will defintely have a higher chance than being internally ranked like 20/25 or smth in adv in a school with average 3 b6 advanced. I do lowkey speak to a professional about my mental health. Alot of it was when I was in math advanced, until I dropped I was suffering miserably mentally where in math standard, it allowed me to come to school more and enjoy school a bit. I just feel like for my mental at this stage, standard is the way. I haven't spoken to anyone about my English dropping because I feel like I won't die if im forced to stay in advanced but it will defintely make me feel sad lol. Thanks for your input, I might consider speaking to someone about it.
It sounds like Standard is better suited for you. Good luck, hoping everything goes well and things start looking up!

comeback6969

HSC
Bruh😭 i came deadlast.... 80%of my handwriting was ineligible......Well my atars doomed. They better let me drop to standard after pulling 10/20, none of the mf teachers are even responding to me so hopeless lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)