E4/Band 6 cut off for Extension English? (1 Viewer)

SanjoyM

HSC
I'm guessing 40-42ish
They will be pretty hard this time on prepared responses :)

SanjoyM

HSC
Umm i think last year a raw mark of 38-39/50 would align to 45/50 (aligned HSC mark)
This year 40/50 would probably align to 45/50?

MK888

HSC
What do you guys think the raw mark would be for a HSC mark around 40?

Last edited:

powersupply

HSC
what are the better 'aligning' modules. how does navigating the global fare?

SanjoyM

HSC
Navglob aligns pretty good, I would assume. However, the question was very generic this year. (Not quite sure)
Module A/Genre prob aligns the best, as the markers tend to be pedantic and mark super hard!
Module C: not quite sure
Mod A and B prob aligns the best : Crime from Mod A, Nav Glob and Romanticism from Mod B - Imo, after the bomb is pretty straightforward, so not quite sure

teeah

HSC
I think I read somewhere that a couple of years ago a 42/50 aligned to a 45/50. Not sure if this was 2010 or earlier though :S

sinawi

HSC
They're always hard on prepared responses every year though, so that wouldn't be a factor that would bring up the aligning - even though the question was so generic it practically asked you to copy and paste. It'll be interesting to see how they mark them, though. It'll hover in between 37-40

addoil

HSC
My teacher (hsc marker) said they don't align optionally (ie. crime writing would align the same as any other elective)

Anyone clarify this?

SanjoyM

HSC
I thought they always aligned according to the elective; however, since this year all electives in the module had the same question for the essay, they would probably align the same. :)

mctwinkles

HSC
Navglob aligns pretty good, I would assume. However, the question was very generic this year. (Not quite sure)
Module A/Genre prob aligns the best, as the markers tend to be pedantic and mark super hard!
Mod A and B prob aligns the best : Crime from Mod A, Nav Glob and Romanticism from Mod B - Imo, after the bomb is pretty straightforward, so not quite sure
Module C is generally considered the more complex module because of reasons, also not much of the state does it compared to Mods A and B. GENERALLY, if you can do quite well in Mod C it works out a bit better than doing well in at least Mod A and probs B too.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
The Textual Dynamics elective from Module C is the least done and most complex elective in the Extension English course according to experienced teachers at schools with Top-tier English departments (Hornsby Girls, Moriah College, etc). Module C itself is, for the most part, a complex analysis of language dynamics and elements alongside unconventional rupturing of predisposed accepted traditions of authorship and novel construction (and do not forget that you must talk about these things in relation to the contextual values of the composer and find theorists [most of which end up being language/post-structuralist/post-modernist theorists like Barthes and studies of semiotics/semantics] to incorporate in your essay). Additionally, the creative writing questions are a lot more challenging than the other modules. For this reason, Module C aligns the best overall.

Module A is the most done and easiest module of them all IMO. It's not hard to find conventions and talk about how they change in texts over time + there is about a million genre theorists to choose from, and even then, generic quotes on things like "justice" for crime writing is widely accepted too. I suspect that Genre has a weak scaling in comparison. Module B I am not too sure about, although everyone I talk to from other schools say it's a very straightforward module.

And on topic; I think given how general the Genre questions were this year maybe a 38-40 would scale to 45/50. Not sure about the other modules.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)