• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Early Entry and Other Qs. (1 Viewer)

Elyse2738734224

HSC
Hey, Im Jess, i'm new here and i have a few questions about the HSC...And the UAI that i need help with please =)

I'm doing pretty good in all of my subjects...OTHER than maths. I wish i never had chosen it....but i was actually told i had to choose it. Anyway, I'm failing maths and it doesnt matter how many times i study...How many hours...How many times i basically break down out of frustration that i cant understand one simple formula, i just can't seem to do well at all.

Is early entry my only option?

Im desperate to get into Uni...family has been encouraging me for so long and i really want to get in. A UAI of 80 and i would be Happy. I need a UAI of at least 76 to get in to my local Uni.

Ive got a maths tutor now and she reckons she can help me do well in maths but i tend to doubt it alot. Also....does anyone know with your half-yearly reports, do they count GREATLY towards your UAI?
Cuz my report wasnt terrific...well wasnt as good as i'd like it to be.
And i desperately need motivation.

But yeah do any of you know about Early Entry? Is it based only on your trials? I know theres two...u can get Unconditional entry and Conditional Entry...I dont think i'd be smart enough to get Unconditional but Conditional Entry would be great just so i can be rid of the maths pressure.
Do any of you know the process in that?
What do they look for?
How do you apply?

Any help would be great thanks!

morganforrest

HSC
What uni???

Also your half yearly REPORT counts for nothing towards your UAI. Your half yearly exams would probably attribute some percentage toward your assessment mark. Again though, marks don't really matter though. Its your ranking more than anything else that defines your UAI.

Give us more info on what subjects you do, your rank in those subjects and ur estimate of the mark you'll get and we could estimate whether you'll get the 80.

HSC
you go to st josephs...that means your local uni is uow! uow's a great choice!

Click Here for early entry details on uow.

i'll address the early entry side of things. a couple of questions.

*what course you are thinking of going into?
*what subjects do you do?
*what are your marks?

the marks they look at is pretty much your total internal mark for all subjects. whatever is on your yearly report. then they interview you on about how interested you are in the degree and all of that. half yearly reports mean shit all in terms of uai, but if you arent going too well it might motivate you to improve...

unconditional entry is that they are satisfied on what they have seen in your interview, you are let in regardless of uai. conditional means you have to get a certain uai/marks in certain subjects to get in. don't stress if you get conditional, depending on the course there's a chance they will let you in anyway.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
Elyse2738734224 said:
Hey, Im Jess, i'm new here and i have a few questions about the HSC...And the UAI that i need help with please =)

I'm doing pretty good in all of my subjects...OTHER than maths. I wish i never had chosen it....but i was actually told i had to choose it. Anyway, I'm failing maths and it doesnt matter how many times i study...How many hours...How many times i basically break down out of frustration that i cant understand one simple formula, i just can't seem to do well at all.
I Assume your doing 10 units so maths has to count.If you are doing 2 unit maths ask to drop to general. If you can't or you are struggling with general just do alot of practice questiosn starting with simple questions to the harder questions, and pratice the harder one's once you can do the easier ones easy. Then to past papers and look for further resources which can be foudn in the resources section of the website.

Elyse2738734224 said:
Im desperate to get into Uni...family has been encouraging me for so long and i really want to get in. A UAI of 80 and i would be Happy. I need a UAI of at least 76 to get in to my local Uni.
You can still get a UAI of 80. As mentioned earlier give us some more details of your ranks in your other subjects and your school rank.

Elyse2738734224 said:
Ive got a maths tutor now and she reckons she can help me do well in maths but i tend to doubt it alot. Also....does anyone know with your half-yearly reports, do they count GREATLY towards your UAI?
Cuz my report wasnt terrific...well wasnt as good as i'd like it to be.
And i desperately need motivation.
Your maths tutor might be able to pull you up to a Band 4 or you never know higher, which would assist you in obtaining your desired UAI. ANd for motivation, just think 3 months of hard work and you are on your path to fufilling your goals in life. You don't want to finish the year thinking i shoudl have tried harder and maybe got your 80UAI.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
i refer to old Ford...
'Whether you think you can, or think you can't- you're right!'

you obviously have a confidence issue with math..
just try and keep and open mind..
if before you even open a math book you're thinking 'i can't even get one formula right'... you're not going to.

it sounds like a load of bullshit, but to an extend- your psychological outlook affects ur results..

just give it ago dearie, :)
(L)

don't cut yourself down before you've even tried...

morganforrest

HSC
nichhhole said:
i refer to old Ford...
'Whether you think you can, or think you can't- you're right!'

you obviously have a confidence issue with math..
just try and keep and open mind..
if before you even open a math book you're thinking 'i can't even get one formula right'... you're not going to.

it sounds like a load of bullshit, but to an extend- your psychological outlook affects ur results..

just give it ago dearie, :)
(L)

don't cut yourself down before you've even tried...
lol....from someone doing 4U maths....but she's right it really is about confidence, back yourself and you'll see progress

PS. i really should have done 4U, im such a lazy fuck

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
morganforrest said:
lol....from someone doing 4U maths....but she's right it really is about confidence, back yourself and you'll see progress

PS. i really should have done 4U, im such a lazy fuck
bah! prejudices....
would what i say be more legit if i change my subjects to Comfam?

;)

morganforrest

HSC
nichhhole said:
bah! prejudices....
would what i say be more legit if i change my subjects to Comfam?

;)
Possibly....or soc and col.....then people will really know what a drain on society you are

Elyse2738734224

HSC
Wow...Thanks you guys have been great.
For the maths issue that i have....I got this way because ive been studying for a topic test for the last week literally...and i did the test yesterday and most of the questions i just went BLANK. i forgot a heap of stuff...and i was reading questions i had done over and over and i didnt know how to do it.
And that was only on two topics.
How can i manage in the HSC is what im most worried about.

Ahh ok ranks:

General Maths- I got like 39%...Failing...And my rank was...84/95. -Terrible.

Ancient History- Mark was 65 based on 38% of total assessment. Rank- 15/40

Catholic Studies (doesnt go towards UAI)- 47/50 and Rank- 1/38
^ so doin ok in that lol.

Advanced English- Mark- 76 Rank based on 55% of total assessment. Rank-28/61

Drama- Mark-73 Rank based on 40% of total assessment- Rank- 3/10

Community and Family Studies- 60%- rank based on 45% of T.A. Rank- 10/25

What do you think from that...I dunno.
getting in the 80s seems a little way off at the moment.

BUT im trying to be positive lol Did i pick good ranking subjects or are they lower scaled?

HSC
marks arent great but apart from maths the ranks arent that bad (ranks are more important than marks), so chances you guys are getting hard tests. although there is room for improvement, as im sure you would know.

the subjects you have chosen im sorry to say don't scale that great, so its more important that you at least go reasonably well in them (75 probably as your bare minimum). there is still time though. perhaps your half yearly report is the wakeup call you need? just work on improving your skills in general (ask teachers, possibly friends to help?) and working especially hard with your maths tutor on the things you do not understand because you are royally screwed if you can't pull up your maths marks.

in saying all that....uhm i don't want to deter you from fulfilling your dream to get into uni...this is definitely not to say that you can't get in...but i suggest you seriously consider your alternative options to uni (you know, just in case). what were you interested in getting into?

sorry, i tried to be as positive as i could, i wish you all the best in any case. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)