• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

"Eat less meat to fight climate change" - UN (3 Viewers)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
People should cut their consumption of meat to help combat climate change, a top United Nations expert told a British Sunday newspaper.

Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), told The Observer that people should start by having one meat-free day per week then cut back further.

Would you consider cutting your consumption of meat? Is such action necessary? Leave your thoughts below.

The 68-year-old Indian economist, who is a vegetarian, said diet change was important in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and environmental problems associated with rearing cattle and other animals.

"Give up meat for one day (per week) initially, and decrease it from there," he said.

"In terms of immediacy of action and the feasibility of bringing about reductions in a short period of time, it clearly is the most attractive opportunity."

Other small-scale lifestyle changes would also help to combat climate change, he said without elaborating.

"That's what I want to emphasise: we really have to bring about reductions in every sector of the economy."

Dr Pachauri is due to give a speech in London on Monday under the title: "Global Warning: the impact of meat production and consumption on climate change".

Dr Pachauri, who was re-elected for a second term six-year term as IPCC chairman last week, has headed the organisation since 2002 and oversaw its seminal assessment report in 2007 which gave graphic forecasts of the risks posed by global warming.

The IPCC warned then that without action the planet's rising temperatures could unleash potentially catastrophic change to earth's climate system, leading to hunger, drought, storms and massive species loss.

The organisation also won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 along with former US vice president Al Gore.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=627184

Seriously, fuck off.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
Seriously, fuck off.
Consumption of meat (especially cured or salted meats, such as ham and salami) has been linked conclusively to many forms of cancer, including stomach. Consumption of other meat has been shown to have a casual relationship with cancer including lung.

It's your health.

N.b. in my ideal world we would kill people like you who refused to take control of your health but in Australia we keep you alive using public funds. Disgusting. I hope you drop dead from multiple forms of cancer you sack of fucking shit.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Apparently Kangroos are much better in terms of emissions compared to Cattle. And the meat is supposed to be more healthy too. Also, they can live in pretty much any conditions.
Kangaroo = Meat of the future

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Rebekkie said:
i'm sure they'd love it when we then have a heap of anaemics running round and healthcare has to pick up the slack.
Well if it comes to having to eat less meat, then you could easily take iron supplements to make up for the lower iron intakes you'd be getting. Also, tofu and fish are good sources of iron.

And as jb_nc said, there are some health risks associated with comsumption of meat. But not having meat only once a week wouldn't be that bad, right? Unless you're some kind of raging carnivore who can't stand vegetables...

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
It's all about Kangaroo meat. Kangaroo is the meat of the future.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
sam04u said:
It's all about Kangaroo meat. Kangaroo is the meat of the future.
Kangaroo meat is awesome. I once ate a kangaroo burger and damn, it was good!

zstar

HSC
N/A
Eat the UN members and fight global warming.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
if thats what it takes.... the planet is fucked :rofl:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
jb_nc said:
Consumption of meat (especially cured or salted meats, such as ham and salami) has been linked conclusively to many forms of cancer, including stomach. Consumption of other meat has been shown to have a casual relationship with cancer including lung.

It's your health.

N.b. in my ideal world we would kill people like you who refused to take control of your health but in Australia we keep you alive using public funds. Disgusting. I hope you drop dead from multiple forms of cancer you sack of fucking shit.

As long as the meat is cooked good, there's no need to worry about getting cancer or worry about our health, unless we're obese. :D

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
UN said:
"Give up meat for one day (per week) initially, and decrease it from there," he said.
We've been telling fat chicks to eat less meat for quite a while. Except it was health, not climate change.

chicky_pie said:
Seriously, fuck off.
a bit tough to not eat meat for one day?

HalcyonSky

HSC
chicky_pie said:
As long as the meat is cooked good, there's no need to worry about getting cancer or worry about our health, unless we're obese. :D
incorrect

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Davo1111 said:
a bit tough to not eat meat for one day?
Yep :) I do love my meat.

Have been campaigning to my parents to eat more kangaroo (it's tasty! It's lean! And it's cheap!) but to no avail.

HalcyonSky

HSC
Kwayera said:
Have been campaigning to my parents to eat more kangaroo (it's tasty! It's lean! And it's cheap!) but to no avail.
lean? every time ive had kangaroo its been absolutely filled with strings of fat, totally uneatable

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
HalcyonSky said:
lean? every time ive had kangaroo its been absolutely filled with strings of fat, totally uneatable
where are you buying your kangaroo from? woolworths does some very nice kangaroo kebabs

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
Cooked well, Superman does good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)