ECON1001 Mathematics Diagnostic test? (1 Viewer)

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Guys!
How basic is this test?
What will I need to know - differentiation, graphing etc?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Guys!
How basic is this test?
What will I need to know - differentiation, graphing etc?
They do diagnostic tests now?

The maths in microeconomics is fairly simple. If you performed well in 2U Maths (maybe at a Band 5+ level), then you shouldn't run into difficulties. It is pretty much basic differentiation and graphing functions.

The difficulty comes when you are required to communicate economic problems mathematically but that shouldn't be difficult if you understand the problem itself.

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
They do diagnostic tests now?

The maths in microeconomics is fairly simple. If you performed well in 2U Maths (maybe at a Band 5+ level), then you shouldn't run into difficulties. It is pretty much basic differentiation and graphing functions.

The difficulty comes when you are required to communicate economic problems mathematically but that shouldn't be difficult if you understand the problem itself.
Okay, that doesnt sound too bad
oh so this test is fairly new then?
Here's what it says on the unit outline:

Maths diagnostic Test – This is an online test of basic mathematical methods that are used in this course. The test is designed to provide feedback on your ability to deal with these methods. The test will be made available on the ECON1001 Blackboard site in week 1. It is a compulsory piece of assessment. Students who do not take the test will be assigned an absent fail (AF).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, that doesnt sound too bad
oh so this test is fairly new then?
Here's what it says on the unit outline:
Well I did 1001 four years ago so I'm not sure when it was introduced.

Doesn't sound like it will count for your grade either. If you perform poorly, I figure they may recommend going to the Maths Learning Centre for revision but aside from that, you should be sweet. It's very simple maths.

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Well I did 1001 four years ago so I'm not sure when it was introduced.

Doesn't sound like it will count for your grade either. If you perform poorly, I figure they may recommend going to the Maths Learning Centre for revision but aside from that, you should be sweet. It's very simple maths.
Okie dokes, thanks!

rope

HSC
N/A
It's pretty general 2U stuff like basic algebra, calculating areas, graphing, simultaneous equations, differentiation, etc.
The marks don't count for anything and if you go bad I think all they do is recommend you to attend the extra maths sessions dotted throughout semester, but they're open to everyone in case you wanted to touch up on your maths skills.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Considering changing one of my electives to this. I didn't do HSC economics but can maths decently. Will this suit me?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Economics has no assumed knowledge, so you should be fine.

I'm doing ECON1002 this semester with no economics knowledge, and so far I'm finding it quite manageable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)