Economics major at UNSW vs USYD (2 Viewers)

sida1049

HSC
Alright so opinions and perspectives.

So far, I've gathered that USYD has a rigorous pre-honours program which includes more extensive economics units (and with more maths, which is great).

UNSW's business school is seemingly more reputable, especially for postgraduate studies.

USYD's B Comm offers economics and econometrics as core majors, whereas UNSW does not.

Go!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Alright so opinions and perspectives.

So far, I've gathered that USYD has a rigorous pre-honours program which includes more extensive economics units (and with more maths, which is great).

UNSW's business school is seemingly more reputable, especially for postgraduate studies.

USYD's B Comm offers economics and econometrics as core majors, whereas UNSW does not.

Go!
Well yeah because UNSW has a B Economics

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Is there a particular area of economics you are interested in?

If you want to compare, look at the requirements for the award of an economics major. Compare the units of study available to students at USYD compared to UNSW.

The uni handbooks are always your friend.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I feel as though there is very little value add in going through and looking at specific units at this stage. Ask JasonG, he's in pre honours econ and I walk past the econ tutorial he assists in every week so he's in a good position to comment on the quality of undergrad econ and the opportunities available.

Usyd also has a B. Economics...

Its just that doing B. Comm with econ major allows you to take advantage of all the extra benefits business school offers (dig through a few threads).

Lol unsw is in no way better than usyd econ. If it was, you wouldn't be seeing their penultimate econ kids with hd wams + deans list doing the same internships as pre-penult usyd kids . Also check the Rba website - the last 3 years or so almost all their econ prize winners were usyd students.
So no, it SEEMS as though it is not always unsw Lel.

Tl;dr: doesn't even matter. But if you have a 90 wam in usyd and a 90 wam from unsw, fairly sure which student will get the top offers, all else equal.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I feel as though there is very little value add in going through and looking at specific units at this stage. Ask JasonG, he's in pre honours econ and I walk past the econ tutorial he assists in every week so he's in a good position to comment on the quality of undergrad econ and the opportunities available.

Usyd also has a B. Economics...

Its just that doing B. Comm with econ major allows you to take advantage of all the extra benefits business school offers (dig through a few threads).

Lol unsw is in no way better than usyd econ. If it was, you wouldn't be seeing their penultimate econ kids with hd wams + deans list doing the same internships as pre-penult usyd kids . Also check the Rba website - the last 3 years or so almost all their econ prize winners were usyd students.
So no, it SEEMS as though it is not always unsw Lel.

Tl;dr: doesn't even matter. But if you have a 90 wam in usyd and a 90 wam from unsw, fairly sure which student will get the top offers, all else equal.
nek minnit prize award committee is just usyd old boys club

sida1049

HSC
nek minnit prize award committee is just usyd old boys club
Oh a tangent, how is Advanced Mathematics in UNSW? I have an interest in mathematics, but the downside is that it takes 5 years (excluding the honours year) to complete B Economics/B Science (Advanced Mathematics). Is there no way to reduce the duration to 4 years...?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh a tangent, how is Advanced Mathematics in UNSW? I have an interest in mathematics, but the downside is that it takes 5 years (excluding the honours year) to complete B Economics/B Science (Advanced Mathematics). Is there no way to reduce the duration to 4 years...?
great (you'll need to be more specific)

And I think you'll find it's 5 years including the Honours year - so that may answer your query

sida1049

HSC
great (you'll need to be more specific)

And I think you'll find it's 5 years including the Honours year - so that may answer your query
Oh whoops sorry, I meant the honours year for the economics. And I just realised that I can't major in economics, econometrics and an area of advanced mathematics at the same time with B Economics/B Science (Advanced Mathematics). Well.

I'm aiming for an economics honours and also possibly a mathematics major. I'm also interested in attaining a major in econometrics if I could, but currently it seems impossible to do without spending at least two additional years in university for my undergraduate course.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh whoops sorry, I meant the honours year for the economics. And I just realised that I can't major in economics, econometrics and an area of advanced mathematics at the same time with B Economics/B Science (Advanced Mathematics). Well.

I'm aiming for an economics honours and also possibly a mathematics major. I'm also interested in attaining a major in econometrics if I could, but currently it seems impossible to do without spending at least two additional years in university for my undergraduate course.
If you want economics honours and a maffs major, do Eco/Science, with a major in maths with Science. That should solve your problem.

Adv Maths is compulsory Honours in maths.

sida1049

HSC
What's so bad about spending 5 years at university if you're fine with 4 years?
I'm leaning towards B Economics or B Commerce with an honours in economics, so that would take 4 years in total. A combined degree takes one to two years longer, and I'm deterred by the additional time and cost which accumulates for my undergraduate course.

B Economics/B Science in UNSW is 4 years, or 5 with honours, which I guess I could bear. But from its description it only allows a major from economics and science, and since I'm really only interested by a science degree for mathematics, I could have achieved the same with only B Economics. Furthermore a combined degree only appeals to me if I could attain three majors, which I cannot with B Economics/B Science. But I digress.

It's the time and cost that deters me. If I can get a scholarship of some kind, then that'd make my decisions significantly easier. But seeing that academic scholarships are highly competitive, the chances are slim.

sida1049

HSC
If you want economics honours and a maffs major, do Eco/Science, with a major in maths with Science. That should solve your problem.

Adv Maths is compulsory Honours in maths.
B Economics allows me a second major in mathematics, with no additional time.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm leaning towards B Economics or B Commerce with an honours in economics, so that would take 4 years in total. A combined degree takes one to two years longer, and I'm deterred by the additional time and cost which accumulates for my undergraduate course.

B Economics/B Science in UNSW is 4 years, or 5 with honours, which I guess I could bear. But from its description it only allows a major from economics and science, and since I'm really only interested by a science degree for mathematics, I could have achieved the same with only B Economics. Furthermore a combined degree only appeals to me if I could attain three majors, which I cannot with B Economics/B Science. But I digress.

It's the time and cost that deters me. If I can get a scholarship of some kind, then that'd make my decisions significantly easier. But seeing that academic scholarships are highly competitive, the chances are slim.
You can get three majors, you'll just have to stay back even more. It's a special study plan.

And you're doing your HSC this year. I can tell you that very close to 0% of us care about cost, because we'll pay it back eventually anyway and if it's going to help you become more employable, surely it's an investment. And time? I'll be at uni 6 years and I'm bittersweet about leaving. Other people couldn't wait to get out, but then they baulk and want to come back.

And very few get scholarships. Stay at home, save money and commute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)