• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Economics (1 Viewer)

HSC
1) Is it difficult to find jobs with an economics degree

2) Which Uni's have a good eco department and which ones are bad

Thankyou :apig:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ANU is always the best

in Sydney, both UNSW and USyd have the "best" Schools of Economics in terms of prestige and career opportunities.

It's claimed that Economics graduates are the quickest to be promoted than any other graduate, but good jobs are tough to land, especially as an Economist. Ie, to work at the Reserve Bank, they require you to have attained a First or Second Class Honours or Masters degree in Economics - and thats just to apply

deviation

HSC
r u srs.. they REQUIRE? lol hm.. ill stick with pwC then.. ill see what offers i get after.. hmm..

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
From the RBA Careers website:

"To apply for our Graduate Development Program you must expect to have completed a superior honours or post-graduate degree majoring in economics, finance or closely related discipline by the end of 2004.
To apply for a Cadetship Award you should be in your third year of study (or equivalent) intending to undertake an honours year in 2005 and be available for fulltime employment in 2006.

As a minimum an academic rating of distinction average is required."

rumour

HSC
Minai said:
ANU is always the best

in Sydney, both UNSW and USyd have the "best" Schools of Economics in terms of prestige and career opportunities.

It's claimed that Economics graduates are the quickest to be promoted than any other graduate, but good jobs are tough to land, especially as an Economist. Ie, to work at the Reserve Bank, they require you to have attained a First or Second Class Honours or Masters degree in Economics - and thats just to apply
What about Macquarie?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Zarathustra said:
What do you mean? That ANU is best in everything, or all areas of commerce or just economics?
Apparently in Economics, and a University as a whole (every study done into ranking uni's has ANU as the best uni in Australia)

HSC
If I was to do Economics/Something, what would the "something" be that would be most useful in finding a career in economics (besides commerce or business, or law because I won't get high enough :( )

I was thinking of Eco/Arts at ANU, but I'm not sure how helpful the arts would be.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
arts is such a general degree it can help and assist you, but its not really that mazing by itself for a career in economic unless you wish to go into marketing (many arts stuudent go into marketing)

meanwhile anu being best is debatable, personally (and seeming nowdays to have my dad job ud need an economic degree..he has a commerce degree) ive always been told unsw, usyd, uow or anu are well recieved...not THAT much differece between them!

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
Apparently in Economics, and a University as a whole (every study done into ranking uni's has ANU as the best uni in Australia)
the rankings are misleading as they are not comparing similar unis. its like comparing apples and oranges as ANU has a high proportion of grad students involved in research.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Silver Persian said:
If I was to do Economics/Something, what would the "something" be that would be most useful in finding a career in economics (besides commerce or business, or law because I won't get high enough :( )

The following combinations are really popular and really useful when doing a straight out economics dgree:
Economics/Finance
Econometrics/Finance
Economics/Accounting . . . .plenty of jobs here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)