einstein vs planck (1 Viewer)

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
hehe....anyway with reference to I2I, dot point 2-5

-process information to discuss Einstein and Planck's differing views about whether science research is removed form social and political forces

from a site there was this:
Einstein worked without political motivation
Planck worked with political motivation
Related to the war

and then theres jacaranda's lil "Physics Fact" box on it...
they both arent very informative though

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
Planck suffered because of an attempt to kill hitler. His son was killed and his house raided. He then became mad and was unheard of for a long time..
wtf ?

mainly about how planck helped teh war effort while einstein only cared about what was correct.

and how since enemy countries have come up with a theory but since they are with war with another they won't belive them simply because they hate them.

ie. its not about whether they are factually right but they won't believe them because they are enemies

Jacaranda and surfing physics have good notes on this section. as well as the successone book.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
just joking :)

his son was really killed by Gestapo in 1944, and planck and his wife was captured and moved to (forgot where) and at last died in 1989. Theres some history in britannica about this..

and successone specimen question answer is very good on this.

Akira_Tikira

This is Simple, might learn Histrory instead
Planck and Einstein had different views on how the development of science and its implication. Plank believe scientific development is justified by its own right and whatever the poltician do with that development is out of the hand of the scientist and they should not take any responsibility.

While Eninstein believed that the development of physic by scientist must be carefully monitored and if they believe there is a detrimental application of physics, the scientist must take responsibility. Einstein after he realised his prediction of nuclear energy arisen from a nuclear reatcion is so great that it can be used in an A-Bomb, protested against its use.

Planck and Einstein lived in the same era but under different circumstances. Planck was an Aryan and a nationalist who with 96 other top physicsts was the first to sign a manifestation defending Germanys decision to go to war, while Einstein highly opposed the war and was a pascfist.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Wasn't Einstein of jewish origin? (im not trying to get out of the question) That probably influenced him on going out of war, but then again that was before Hitler.

I'm not quite sure about Planck and Einstein friendship, it could be a publicity stunt? (smart people think ahead of their time) :D

anyways it was in the history, so not too much chance that it's wrong..

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Planck tried to help his Jewish friends, but he was an adamant nationalist who believed in his country. So when Einstein and his buddies refused to contribute their scientific discoveries in helping the Nazi party, Plank was forced to compromise his friendship for his loyalty to his nation.
i guess it was just a difference in values?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)