• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Electrical + Eyes (1 Viewer)

doink

Clone
HSC
Well heres the thing, i have this eye condition known as 'deutan' which basically means that i have slightly more red receptors than green in my eyes, meaning that when lots of colours are together in a small location i may mistake a light brown for orange etc.

I was wondering whether this would nullify my ability to do electrical engineering because of wires and their colouring being of significance.

Any help appreciated.

Evilo

HSC
Don't do bomb defusal.

You might need to contact your lecturer, id say you are colour blind for certain colours instead of stating your exact condition. For all you know, you may not be affected due to the 'shades' of colours of the wires

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
doink said:
Well heres the thing, i have this eye condition known as 'deutan' which basically means that i have slightly more red receptors than green in my eyes, meaning that when lots of colours are together in a small location i may mistake a light brown for orange etc.

I was wondering whether this would nullify my ability to do electrical engineering because of wires and their colouring being of significance.

Any help appreciated.
I got the same problem as you with my eyes :(, good to know im not alone lol. Well u should be fine with elec engineerin though, cause you dont deal with cabling or working out resistors, thats more of an electricians job. In engineering u design circuits, calculate etc.

To be honest i did electronics in yr9 and yr10 at high school and didnt have a problem at all with cables and i didnt have a problem with working out the colours on resistors. I came 2nd both years and i made stuff like door bells lol. Also i went to an optometrist and he said i shouldnt be an electrician nor a pilot in the future, which i dont want to either.

Also try googling it, cause i read about this before and it no big deal as i know a person (has colour blindness) who works as a civil eng and never has problems with colours, even though i read that civil eng would also have some colour stuff to worry about.

doink

Clone
HSC
So I should probably talk to one the advisers then shouldn't I, aren't there any students of EE that can tell me how much colour recognition is necessary and the actual colours involved?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)