• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Emma and Clueless Essay help... (1 Viewer)

rocka_psycho

hey everyone...would anyone have any ideas i could use or talk about in this essay..."Imagine you are a minor character from Emma transported in time and space to view the film Clueless. How effectively has Heckerling represented Emma and your relationships with her in transforming her story to a new time and place"..800 words

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
talk about the values of the time. (which is the point of the module)

so for example, her relationship with her father, you can talk about what bonded them in emma, and then what bonds them in clueless, how and why this has been changed to suit the context of composition.

harriet - about how she is an outsider. how emma treats her. i wish i could remember the text properly!

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
well... just take abt the relationships and the altered social interaction of cher's era and the social values that they have.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
does harriet count as a minor character? because she'd be the easiest to do. both her and tai acted as a protege to emma/cher, and so the process of the "makeover" would reflect the values of the different contexts. also, will you get marks for talking in the character? i did a monologue from harriet to tai last year, and lost a mark for being "too intelligent for harriet" even though i put in heaps of dramatic irony.

so yeh, talk about the difference between the 2 different makeovers. and another important thing is to talk about the genre. ie, mention austen's use of authorial intrusion and how that has translated into cinematography. austen's portrayal of emma and her view of herself -> voice over in clueless. you could also talk about the literary devices of austen -> instant visual impact from the big screen etc.

but the most formulaic thing to do with this module is to say, although the representations has been changed, the two texts are essentially the same and compliment each other rah rah rah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)