• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Employment for law (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Hi, just wondering what the employ prospects are like for law?
Do you think barrier exists for people of non-caucasian background when it comes to job prospects in this field?

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Wide if you're crap, slim if you're good. If that makes sense.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I've read articles saying that because of the sharp increase in Law schools over the last 10 years, there's now more law graduates than there is demand for them.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
011 said:
Wide if you're crap, slim if you're good. If that makes sense.
No could you please elaborate? I presume your referring to the metaphorical "barrier" of my previous post.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
in the law fields i reckon people are interested in your ability to bring in the dough.

get some experience and then worry about the racism. as for me i couldnt care less if there is or isnt any racism, i really couldnt care less. i like studying law

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Minai said:
I've read articles saying that because of the sharp increase in Law schools over the last 10 years, there's now more law graduates than there is demand for them.
hmmm...i've heard that too. Very dissapointing considering that I was thinking about doing graduate law...

sypher

HSC
'Tis probably true that employment prospects of law graduates aren't very bright at the moment, but take into consideration the fact that most law students do a secondary degree (commerce/business, arts etc.); you could always work in the area of your other degree.

Employment prospects for law grads aren't great, nor are they bad, at this moment in time. Their progression of pay is apparently one of the best though (starting salary is average while salary after a few years is significantly higher). At the end of the day, if you are interested and keen on doing law then go ahead and do so.

santaslayer

HSC
The most valued thing in todays society is skill. No one will turn you away from a job if you have the skillz. :)

Even if you're AzN. :p

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
santaslayer said:
The most valued thing in todays society is skill. No one will turn you away from a job if you have the skillz. :)

Even if you're AzN. :p
Rubbish. Lack of skill is widely valued. Become a farmer. The feild's getting crowded.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'll be honest with you, my employer said he gets alot of people from different backgrounds, including caucasian australians... that just can't speak english that good, or communicate very well... so he doesn't hire them. (those that can speak english well of course tho he does).

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Even so I believe there's a general reluctance toward hiring representatives of other races. I suppose that occurs due to the "empathy" level between people, as those who are similar may feel more at home.

santaslayer

HSC
What? So you're saying somone is willing to let go of a person that will bring them a heap of $$$ just because he/she aint caucasian?...Like...wtf?...u will be employed...even if the employer is a freakin racist...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
natstar said:
there definetly should NOT be any barriers for non- caucasian backgrounds. If they dont employ you becuase of that- thats discrimination, which is against the law.
Then again "3" in the city have no problem specifying that you must speak canto and mando to get a job there:)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
That's a qualification tho....
Like 'ability to speak english well'.

Tho i think qualifications should be relevant to the job, otherwise it's probably discrimination...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Have a read of this article --
"The legal industry has grown at an average of 7 per cent - double the rate of general economic growth - for the past decade, according to Jason Baker, general manager Australia for business analysts IBISWorld. And it looks set to keep growing.

More rules governing our daily lives mean greater and more varied job opportunities for lawyers.

Beyond the Law, SHM - March 02, 2005.
It is my understanding that the opportunities for law graduates are excellent, because law is a very diverse field and there are many businesses that value and require the services of legal experts, not just actual lawyers. The job prospects for lawyers is less so. "Since 1990, the number of law schools in Australia has risen from 12 to 29. Between 1993 and 2003, the number of students enrolled in law courses leapt from 16,490 to 38,695, according to the Department of Education, Science and Training."

So there is an increasing amount of graduates out there, making good grades, institutional differences and postgraduate degrees more important in providing an edge over others (to become employed as a lawyer per se).

natstar said:
there definetly should NOT be any barriers for non- caucasian backgrounds. If they dont employ you becuase of that- thats discrimination, which is against the law.
The potential 'barrier' would come from lesser speaking/English experience. If you can't speak and argue as well as someone else, then the employer would (rightly so) take that into consideration. It isn't a matter of race, it is a matter of ability and skill.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
There is nothing more common than the caucasion from the burbs doing arts/law @ ANU.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I'll say. There's so many whites in law at ANU. Try attending one of the eco/comm lectures, they're all azn. Big contrast.

santaslayer

HSC
natstar said:
Yeah its understandable that if you can not speak the lanaguage needed to do the job, becuase its reather like a skill. But this is Australia, sure we might be multicultural, but personaly its a bit silly if we want to get a job in our own country and cant at some places becuase we cant speak another lanaguage. Oh well
Yeah, but that's because certain legal firms target their services at a certain race of people. These firms require someone who are able to speak certain languages purely because their clients cannot speak English effectively. These firms, in my opinion, actually remedy certain disadvantages presented to non English speaking people in the legal system.

Go Chinatown! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)