• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Employment in IT industry (1 Viewer)

phunk

HSC
Is employment in the IT industry going down. If i were to get a networking degree now would i still be employed in say 40 years. I may be interested in doing something in IT, but i'm concerned that skills in IT will become redundant and human jobs will simply be replaced by computers.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
IT will never go down, IT IS technology, technology will be in our lives forever and to operate something that's related to IT, you'll need humans to operate/use/fix it, maybe in 200 years computers will speak and do everything for itself, but until then, humans control computers. :D

phunk

HSC
thank you for your input. I'm pretty deadset on doing a networking course at tafe and then perhaps transferring into UWS to get a degree in computer science(if i'm able to transfer). Is doing the doing the degree beneficial or unecessary? Will it help improve my chances of getting a job? Is it better to just do the degree, rather than get a cert IV or diploma?

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
phunk said:
thank you for your input. I'm pretty deadset on doing a networking course at tafe and then perhaps transferring into UWS to get a degree in computer science(if i'm able to transfer). Is doing the doing the degree beneficial or unecessary? Will it help improve my chances of getting a job? Is it better to just do the degree, rather than get a cert IV or diploma?

Getting either cert IV or diploma would land you a good job with good salary in the IT industry, from what I have read on BOS, employers usually hire those with more practical experience (those who finished in TAFE) but who knows, getting both a University degree + TAFE degree is actually a excellent approach, i don't see how you won't get a IT job with strong degrees on you. I know there's a BOS member who got a UAI of 98+ and decided to do IT in TAFE because it's more practical and so on than going into Uni.

And when it comes to applying jobs in the IT industry, check these 2 sites, very helpful.

http://whirlpool.net.au/jobs/

http://it.seek.com.au/

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I'm studying computer science but I'm also working part time managing 30 machines in an office, writing vba macros and maintaining a sizeable program that was developed by a previous worker here using VB.NET

My approach is get both at once :p

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
I'm studying computer science but I'm also working part time managing 30 machines in an office, writing vba macros and maintaining a sizeable program that was developed by a previous worker here using VB.NET

My approach is get both at once :p

exactly, get both TAFE and Uni degree + part time IT work, you won't regret it.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
phunk said:
Is employment in the IT industry going down. If i were to get a networking degree now would i still be employed in say 40 years. I may be interested in doing something in IT, but i'm concerned that skills in IT will become redundant and human jobs will simply be replaced by computers.
1. No it is not they always need more people in the industry

one of my friends is trying to decide between uni and tafe to do IT and my careers advisor told him to go to tafe do the diploma (he is already half way through) then if you struggle to find a job cos you have no degree then do it.

BabyK

HSC
Both my parents have IT degrees, and they both earn reasonably high incomes, and change jobs however much they like, there is never shortage in IT jobs, just like accounting and nurses, it is highly sought after, and yes you will have a job in 40 years time lol you'll just need 2 update your skills, like my dad does (by having a full bookshelf of IT books roughly 600 pgs each :) ) but you will be one of d last people unemployed in any case.

personally though i think you need to seriously have a flare for it, i find IT too dull :(

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
BabyK said:
Both my parents have IT degrees, and they both earn reasonably high incomes, and change jobs however much they like, there is never shortage in IT jobs, just like accounting and nurses, it is highly sought after, and yes you will have a job in 40 years time lol you'll just need 2 update your skills, like my dad does (by having a full bookshelf of IT books roughly 600 pgs each :) ) but you will be one of d last people unemployed in any case.

personally though i think you need to seriously have a flare for it, i find IT too dull :(

Don't forget collecting PC magazines :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)