• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

eng ext 1 advice + tips on how to take notes?? (1 Viewer)

imhungry990

HSC
hey guys, i just found out about this forum!! im currently in year 10, and am doing eng ex1 eng for year 11 and 12, does anyone who has done the hsc for eng ext have any advice or tips that they wish they implemented when they were studying or just general advice?? also, my teacher rn YAPS SO MUCH 😭😭😭 so if anybody has any tips on how to take notes both in class and out of class and also to study for exams that would really help!!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Welcome to Bored of Studies! :bosman:

I did not take English Extension 1, so hopefully someone else can provide advice about the subject itself. However, perhaps I could provide some insight into effective note-taking.

It is important that you organise your notes well. You can do this through elements such as good document formatting, colour coding and organising your notes into sections. In terms of the latter, this will allow you to understand your notes better and study them more easily. For example, you may wish to have a heading targeted at techniques (literary and/or visual), and a separate heading targeted at quotes. Of course, the knowledge that you will gain once you start English Extension 1 will allow you to structure your notes according to the content. This applies whether you are taking notes during your classes or outside of class.

Another strategy that can help you when making your notes is to access sample notes, many of which can be found in the Notes & Resources section. Having a look at good-quality notes made by other students for English Extension 1 (note that this may also apply to your other subjects) can support your thought process as you determine the strengths of such notes and capitalise on those strengths as you create your own notes. Of course, you may also use other students' notes as study material, not just to assist in making your own notes.

I hope this helps! 😄

MJRey

HSC
I took Extension 2 English (as well as Extension 1) for my HSC, so here's a couple of tips that might help:

My teacher used to yap a lot too (but in a good way, they always stayed on topic), so I would use the opportunity to take down as many of their points/ideas on texts on my laptop as quickly as I could. This way, I could improve my English marks by incorporating my teachers' ideas as well as my own in my work (also giving them what they wanted to hear in assessments).

I had a notebook where for every text I studied (including Advanced), I would divide them up into themes then assign quotes to particular themes. I would name the technique (ie. simile, metaphor) then describe it's significance (ie. highlights the atrocities of war). I would refer to these regularly throughout the year and add to them if needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)