engineering/construction confusion!! (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
hi, i would just like to start with saying...i love buildings and constructions and how they were made...but im confused, as there are multiply courses that attract me but i dont know what exactly they are....(im sounding weird. but heard me out)for example whats the difference between?B building construction management [at UNSW] &B Engineering (Civil engineering)(construction Management) [USYD] &B Engineering (Civil engineering)(project Engineering and Management) [USYD] &B Construction [UTS]they all seem the same from my perspective..can anyone tell me if any are the same or extremely related...also what do u think i should do (also including civil engineering), what is the most interesting and fun, and more practical (eg building projects and building assignmentsi know its a little (well very) but anyone info would be grealty appreciated...thx

KD

HSC
N/A
Anything with Civil (something) from Sydney Uni is simply a Civil Engineering degree where you do the (...) electives. If you go to Sydney Uni I suggest just doing the straight Civil Degree and then you get to choose your electives as you go through rather than being constrained. As far as the profession is concerned they are all Civil Engineering degrees and you will be considered a Civil Engineer. UNSW don't bother with the subsets and just let you choose your electives as you go through the Civil Engineering degree. Basically unis make up different names to try and attract students and to have high UAI's that make the course look 'special' and of higher quality.

If it is a Civil Engineering based degree then you will do some structural design, some project/construction management, geotechnical (ground eg tunnels,slopes), water (inc supply and coastal management) and transport planning. This degree makes you a Civil Engineer with a broad range of possible jobs (including Project Management) and ranks you higher in the industry than the straight B Building (and similar). Note that the Civil degree will be more challenging (but if you can handle it it's worth it). If you want to do smaller jobs/ be a builder etc then B Building will be okay. Note: UNSW or UTS are generally accepted as the more practical.

The best idea for you is to go to the University info days in early January and talk to the academics at the desks to find out exactly what you do in each course.

pottsy44

HSC
a construction management degree with focus more on the practical side of the construction industry as opposed to engineering.

for instance, in CM generally the main focus is construction economics with key job prospects in quantity surveying, project management and construction management.

both degrees are quite broad in the sense that there is many different job prospects.

the construction economics part of the CM degree does not always appeal to all people and in some ways this is why a civil engineering degree generally gets the thumbs up ahead of the construction management degree.

if you choose to go construction management UTS is the place to be.

civil engineering, i believe that usyd and unsw are both very good, but dont take my word for that one.

as an after thought, if you choose to do construction management, both newcastle and uws (its course outline has changed from a building focus to a economic focus) are quite good aswell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)