• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Engineering Flexible 1st yr enquiry (1 Viewer)

bosresearch

HSC
So I'm enrolled into the engineering flexible first yr program at UNSW and I have started to freak out abit: Is it possible that I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO TRANSFER INTO THE ENGINEERING STREAM I WANT (SAY, CIVIL) AT THE END OF YEAR1, GIVEN I GET SOLID MARKS????

Please help me answer this question as I only recently found out that transferring from flexible 1st yr into any other eng stream is done through the internal transfer program (WHICH IS NOT A GUARANTEE) ... am I freaking out for no reason or what ?????

pacman911

HSC
Looked into it for you, I'm also doing engineering flexible first year at UNSW, the dealio is:
1) If you have recieved an atar which achieves the threshold for the selected stream, then regardless of your marks you are allowed to choose that stream (for civil, i think its 90-91)
2) If you have not achieved the threshold, then your university marks will be used to decide. from memory, you need a credit average for courses between 90-95 atar, and a distinction average for courses 95+

bosresearch

HSC
Well my ATAR was 95.80 so does that mean by simply passing my units in first year, i'm given GUARANTEED entry into civil ??
thank u so much for ur help, i know its very late (its almost 3am lol)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
yes you are guaranteed and why didn't you just enrol in civil in the first place?

bosresearch

HSC
Because i'm not yet sure I want to do civil, as I'm also considering chemical and mining. So I decided to do felxible so I could have more time to pick the best engineering stream (by considering job opportunities, job nature and the amount and complexity of study)

bosresearch

HSC
Would I need to call up UNSW and ask them about my question just for confirmation ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)