• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Engineering/Science or Science? (1 Viewer)

alfrede

HSC
Hi everyone.

I am thinking of pursuing a career as a research scientist (not sure what type, but prob something physics/maths related).

Anyway, would it be useful to do a double degree in engineering/science, or would it be better to do an advanced science degree (e.g. PhB or BSc Adv)? Would the engineering sort of broaden my knowledge, or is it only useful if you want to actually practise as an engineer (which I don't)?

Thanks

LordPc

HSC
doing a double degree with engineering would mean that you get far fewer science electives, you will be doing your core engineering subjects instead

basically after 4 or 5 years, you will have both degrees, but you wont know as much in either compared to a straight science or straight engineering student

like, if you do science, you will have a lot of electives and be able to do 2 majors. if you do science/engineering, you can only do 1 science major. so if your ultimate goal is to become a research scientist, taking a double can limit you to just one area of science

doing a double degree is not a minor thing, so doing it to 'broaden your knowledge' might be a little weak.

(
there are exceptions. for example, computer engineering is just a combination of computer science and elec engineering. so taking a double in science (computer science)/engineering (electrical) will leave you better off than someone studying computer engineering
)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)