Engineering Studies Equipment (1 Viewer)

moonsuyoung

HSC
Hi guys!
I was wondering what equipment/stationary do I need for engineering studies next year or you have found helpful?

howcanibesmarter

HSC
set squares, circle template, ellipse template, protractor, compass, mechanical pencil, pen and thats about it really :) most of them are for drawings

im not sure about your school, but my school provided most, if not all of them for the HSC, school exams and normal classes.

moonsuyoung

HSC
set squares, circle template, ellipse template, protractor, compass, mechanical pencil, pen and thats about it really :) most of them are for drawings

im not sure about your school, but my school provided most, if not all of them for the HSC, school exams and normal classes.
Thank you so much!

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC

agree with all except circle template and ellipse template, but to be completely honest, you barely use most of this stuff. mechanical pencil is most useful imo

ariandjabari

HSC
agree with all except circle template and ellipse template, but to be completely honest, you barely use most of this stuff. mechanical pencil is most useful imo
Agreed. The range of topics in engineering that you need equipment for is pretty broad (mainly mechanics, communication sections), so you might not need some of them at all in an exam. But if you get a question in a trial or the HSC that DOES require one, you would definitely benefit from having it. As for the circle template and ellipse template, you do not necessarily need them but they can save you some good time compared to free hand sketch or compass in a sketching question. But again, depends on the exam.

I would say the beneficial equipment are:
Mechanical pencil and rubber - any sketch
protractor - for accurate graphical method solutions
triangles 30/60 - for more accurate and faster isometric sketches
Compass - for true length and measurements

You can reach out to your teacher or engineering and TAS faculty for the equipment. Most schools provide them.

wizzkids

HSC
Regarding your compass, make sure it is a spring-bow compass with micrometer adjustment from a reputable brand. Those cheap wobbly compasses are worse than useless. If you have a reasonable budget, and you enjoy drawing then you could shop for an A3-size drawing board with T-square, protractor and magnetic paper clips. They don't cost much and, once you get the hang of it, it will definitely speed up your drawing exercises.

Last edited:

scaryshark09

HSC
Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 9.29.33 pm.pngScreenshot 2023-12-18 at 9.29.49 pm.png
Regarding your compass, make sure it is a spring-bow compass with micrometer adjustment from a reputable brand. Those cheap wobbly compasses are useless.
100% agree, these two compass' from officeworks were the best once i found. they are a little pricy for something you will barely use, but alot better than the plastic ones.
note that the $21 one is shorter and does not work potentially as well, for some questions which require a large radius

Last edited:

scaryshark09

HSC
Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 9.33.12 pm.png

this mechanical pencil worked well. fairly cheap and lasts forever, so no need to buy extra refills

scaryshark09

HSC
Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 9.35.05 pm.pngScreenshot 2023-12-18 at 9.36.03 pm.png
these set squares are good. they are quite big, but that is useful for drawings

ariandjabari

HSC
anyone got tips for someone in year 10 going to year 11 doing engineering studies?
Make sure to learn force diagram and trigonometry effectively; it is useful in solving mechanics questions such as simple machines and banked surface questions. If you'd like to do physics as well, it is going to help you with Engineering too but you don't have to. In year 11 also try to understand the materials quite well such as grains and different microstructures which helps you for year 12. Remeber, Engineering has quite a broad syllabus so you might need to learn a handful of materials, forming processes and treatments. Other than that just try to enjoy your subjects and you'll do just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)