ENGL1009 or ENGL1026? (1 Viewer)

bbychocoholic

HSC
Anyone studied any of these units? How did you find it? I'm torn between them and after doing ENGL1007 (which is a ridiculously hard course btw, to the point that it's been cancelled) I'm scared of the English faculty.

Thanks guys!

diet cola

HSC
N/A
I did ENGL1026 last semester and I enjoyed it. I'll see if I can find my course outline and scan it for you.

The assessments were not that hard. They all tie into one another. You're given 8 texts to study over the semester (4 novels and 4 films). Each week it alternates between the different formats, with having focus on one of the texts.

I don't know if they change the texts every year, but last semester's list was:

And one more film that I've forgotten.

The first assessment is a tutorial presentation about one of the texts that you have selected. So you could have something due in week 3 if you select to do that week's text! They are meant to be very informal presentations just to incite discussion among the tutorial, which made the tutorials actually interesting. Take notes in the tutorial as it is really helpful for the essay.

The essay is on one of the first 4 texts. So if you've already done your presentation or had the tutorial on the text you choose to do the essay on, you are way ahead as you can just expand on what was brought up in the tutorial discussion.

Then there is the exam. 2 essays in 2 hours. Pretty standard stuff.

But yeah, would recommend this subject to anyone.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the only negative is that the lectures are held in Bosch. Enjoy the exercise!

Last edited:

bbychocoholic

HSC
Oops sorry for the late reply, haven't been on the forum lately.

Wow thanks so much for all that information! Sounds like a good course :)
What exactly was the analysis point of the subject? Like I get that it's Constructing the Fictive Self but what is that about?

sm92

HSC
yeah I was thinking of ENGL1026 as well, because it looked interesting and the co-ordinator Vic seemed perceptive and understanding and nice in the last course I did

Does anyone have a copy of any old course outlines?

p.s. Have you noticed that they've cut down on the amount of English courses available? Or am I just imagining that? Sociology for example offers about 1.5-2x as many units for 2012

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)