• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English Advanced allignment / scaling? (4 Viewers)

aqwerty13402

HSC
I was wondering what potentially lower marks (from the mod c component) to the subject will do to the 2024 allignment / scaling? Or if it will have any impact? I know that there isn't a technical link between difficulty and those things, but if people score lower generally (assuming we will score lower on the mod c component), how would it potentially affect those?
@jimmysmith560 :)

appleali

HSC
guys is it possible for me to b6 adv eng, trial marks:
15/20 short answer (probably lower in hsc)
18/20 common mod
17/20 mod a
17/20 mod b
14/20 mod c (will be higher i think in hsc)
rank 6/40, top 100 school

qwer12334

HSC
Look based on my short study on raw marks I believe if genuinely the state was cooked I calculate about 78-79 would be considered a band 6, if it was half and half the band 6 cutoff would be around 81-82 I believe
just based on how everyone felt on this forum I'd say the state probably did well

but i've heard most users here are from top 100 schools so definitely big bias here

katiekms

/bænd/
HSC
just based on how everyone felt on this forum I'd say the state probably did well

but i've heard most users here are from top 100 schools so definitely big bias here
definitely a lot of bias. from what i’ve heard many lower schools only really go over imaginative (including mine) so a lot of people would’ve felt blind sided. but also the rest of the paper was decently easy so it might balance out.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of alignment, collectively lower performance may translate into reduced cutoffs for particular subject bands. However, it is important to note that alignment has no effect on a student's ATAR. This is because UAC does not use aligned marks as part of calculating students' ATARs.

In terms of scaling, there most likely will not be a noticeable difference, especially given the numerous factors relevant to scaling, such as the common scale for English subjects, as well as the likely similar level of performance across students' other subjects compared to previous years. Of course, the notion of favourable performance resulting in a greater contribution to a student's ATAR and vice versa still applies.

katiekms

/bænd/
HSC
In terms of alignment, collectively lower performance may translate into reduced cutoffs for particular subject bands. However, it is important to note that alignment has no effect on a student's ATAR in any way. This is because UAC does not use aligned marks as part of calculating students' ATARs.

In terms of scaling, there most likely will not be a noticeable difference, especially given the numerous factors relevant to scaling, such as the common scale for English subjects, as well as the likely similar level of performance across students' other subjects compared to previous years. Of course, the notion of favourable performance resulting in a greater contribution to a student's ATAR and vice versa still applies.
wait what? whats the point of aligned marks if they’re not used?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)