English advanced marking HSC vs School (1 Viewer)

Ledepressedrightnow

HSC
Is the marking for the actual HSC English advanced exam much more lenient in comparison to school marking let's assume the school is top 20?

Also, since English is quite subjective, wouldn't it be scuffed to use it as a mandatory subject? What happens if your marker has a bad day and gives bad marks or your school teacher?

dasfas

HSC
In my case, no, I performed really well in trials and did not do as well in the HSC for English. It's hard to say - but expect similar to harsher marking than your school. Try to see if any teachers at your school are HSC markers and ask them for advice.

I think English should stay mandatory - even though I didn't love it at times, I think it's really important to have exposure to humanities, especially if you're going full STEM. Perhaps English shouldn't need to count for the 10 units though (if you have better units that can take its place).

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
HSC exam marking may be slightly more lenient in comparison with highly ranked selective schools, mainly because exams, and the way they are marked, are intended to be more difficult at selective schools, whereas HSC exams (such as English Advanced), given the fact that they assess students across the state (many of whom may not necessarily attend a selective school) are marked in an identical manner, the standard of which may be slightly lower in comparison to highly ranked selective schools.

Regarding English HSC exams (in addition to other subjects whose HSC exams require essay responses), essays are marked by two (or more) markers. In this double marking process, two markers assign a mark separately. If the assigned marks differ significantly (which may apply considering the scenario that you have suggested), the response is referred to a senior marker. This is done to ensure that HSC exam marking is performed accurately and in a fair manner.

I hope this helps! :D

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
id say the marking at my school and in hsc were pretty identical i.e. my school had kinda lenient marking in the sense that it didn’t take very much to get 18+ just 1. answer and engage with the question, 2. have structure and cohesion, 3. have at least mediocre analysis doesn’t have to be award winning or mind blowing. but mostly if you answered the q properly my school said you’re on track for b6, this is how it works in hsc too it doesn’t take a shakespeare to perform well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)