• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English Advanced (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hello all,

I hope your study is going very well. If I could kindly get a response from fellow English students or past students on what is required for a band 6? Work-wise. How many essays a week? What did you do in the weeks leading up to your assessments? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
pick a related text you know well and can analyse yourself, not necessairly just one your teacher/friend suggested.

Ms106

Complexity
HSC
Depends what kind of person you are, my teacher (HSC marker) says I'm doing Band 6 essays and that was without memorising any for the Half-yearly. It's just putting the effort in and asking your teachers to review assessments before they're due and everything.

Gigacube

HSC
You need to be able to adapt essays to questions. I wouldn't do an essay a week but I would do an essay every 2-4 weeks so you have time to review it.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Never was a fan of memorisation. Our teacher told us not to adapt essays.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I've memorized and adapted essays, they've gotten me band 6's. Iunno, whatever works.

First of all, what differentiates a band 6 and band 5 student? A band six student will acknowledge whatever notes are given by the teacher and be like, 'cool story bro'. Well, not really. But, what a band 6 student will do is provide a more indepth analysis of what is already being discussed in class, provide an alternative point of view and introduce their own ideas into their essays. What does this show the teacher? That you have taken initiative. It shows that you understand the text really well, and that you're not just skimming water and regurgitating what's been thrown at you. So be original. Also, a band 6 student will have references to other critics in their essays. This DOES give you extra + For example, perhaps your idea in Othello about the nature of jealously is somewhat similar to A.C Bradley etc.

I suggest you do about 1-2 essays a week. Unless you have a test soon which means you should be reviewing it daily. To Prepare: Ask your teacher for practice questions. For the first two essays take your time planning and constructing your essay. Think about what you're saying that will really appeal to the marker, what have you introduced that's different to anybody else? Send them into your teacher. Then when you recieve your feedback, fix up your errors. Then, write another essay and send it into your teacher again. Once this process is over, do more practice questions under timed conditions.

The obvious: know your texts really well, back to front.

I guess some people are better writers then others. If you're not, it's time to start cracking on some books. Many good essay writers are book lovers. Why? Because essentially, reading is a form of exploring the nature of the human condition. Whether this is fantasy, action, romance, it doesnt matter so long as you expose yourself to many genres. The other great thing about reading is that if you happen to pick up a great book, use it for your related material! Alternatively you can use the lazy method - like me, and just watch lots and LOTS of movies. I call it lazy because I enjoy watching movies. Actually it's not really lazy, it's just easier than reading for me - plus, watching a movie doesnt take as much time as reading a book. Once again, don't only watch action, or horror, or comedies. Don't only watch American movies. Watch art house films, French films, Korean films, dramas, series etc.

I've watched some of the greatest, most boring, disgusting, weird and cliche movies. Yet no matter what I watch, I feel like I gain a much broader understanding of people, and their interactions with others. For example, 'Why do we think this way?' 'What happens if I was in this situation?' You can integrate these perceptions of reality into your essays. Also, Your skill in film analysis will soar like crazy if you really take on board how the messages are conveyed.

Last of all, you must love English. You must be confident in English much like you are confident in maths or physics. If you say you hate English, it means you aren't very good at it. If you aren't very good at English at the moment, but you still like it, then you've got potential. Either way, if you want a band 6 you need to have some passion for it. If a band 6 person tells you they hate English, they are lying. I say it all the time, it's just a habit. Actually, I say it because, although I am a band 6 student, I am still not very confident that I am doing the best I can, and I know that I have much more room for improvement.

Hope you enjoyed reading the story of my life,

Cheers.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I've memorized and adapted essays, they've gotten me band 6's. Iunno, whatever works.

First of all, what differentiates a band 6 and band 5 student? A band six student will acknowledge whatever notes are given by the teacher and be like, 'cool story bro'. Well, not really. But, what a band 6 student will do is provide a more indepth analysis of what is already being discussed in class, provide an alternative point of view and introduce their own ideas into their essays. What does this show the teacher? That you have taken initiative. It shows that you understand the text really well, and that you're not just skimming water and regurgitating what's been thrown at you. So be original. Also, a band 6 student will have references to other critics in their essays. This DOES give you extra + For example, perhaps your idea in Othello about the nature of jealously is somewhat similar to A.C Bradley etc.

I suggest you do about 1-2 essays a week. Unless you have a test soon which means you should be reviewing it daily. To Prepare: Ask your teacher for practice questions. For the first two essays take your time planning and constructing your essay. Think about what you're saying that will really appeal to the marker, what have you introduced that's different to anybody else? Send them into your teacher. Then when you recieve your feedback, fix up your errors. Then, write another essay and send it into your teacher again. Once this process is over, do more practice questions under timed conditions.

The obvious: know your texts really well, back to front.

I guess some people are better writers then others. If you're not, it's time to start cracking on some books. Many good essay writers are book lovers. Why? Because essentially, reading is a form of exploring the nature of the human condition. Whether this is fantasy, action, romance, it doesnt matter so long as you expose yourself to many genres. The other great thing about reading is that if you happen to pick up a great book, use it for your related material! Alternatively you can use the lazy method - like me, and just watch lots and LOTS of movies. I call it lazy because I enjoy watching movies. Actually it's not really lazy, it's just easier than reading for me - plus, watching a movie doesnt take as much time as reading a book. Once again, don't only watch action, or horror, or comedies. Don't only watch American movies. Watch art house films, French films, Korean films, dramas, series etc.

I've watched some of the greatest, most boring, disgusting, weird and cliche movies. Yet no matter what I watch, I feel like I gain a much broader understanding of people, and their interactions with others. For example, 'Why do we think this way?' 'What happens if I was in this situation?' You can integrate these perceptions of reality into your essays. Also, Your skill in film analysis will soar like crazy if you really take on board how the messages are conveyed.

Last of all, you must love English. You must be confident in English much like you are confident in maths or physics. If you say you hate English, it means you aren't very good at it. If you aren't very good at English at the moment, but you still like it, then you've got potential. Either way, if you want a band 6 you need to have some passion for it. If a band 6 person tells you they hate English, they are lying. I say it all the time, it's just a habit. Actually, I say it because, although I am a band 6 student, I am still not very confident that I am doing the best I can, and I know that I have much more room for improvement.

Hope you enjoyed reading the story of my life,

Cheers.
I never said I hated English. Thanks for the response! :)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hire a good tutor who can help you write essays if your teacher is crap, if not make 1-2 drafts a week and submit for marking, receive feedback until it's good to go (atleast 18 to 20/20) and then memorize it, easiest method and adapt it, also make sure you write it out a couple of times before going into the exam, it helps.

For memorizing I did 1 paragraph at a time, memorize it word for word and then write it, add on the next paragraph, etc... and keep going and write the whole thing down. Then just write the whole essay a couple of times and should be good to go.

Good luck :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I wanted to rep your post jnney, but it wouldn't let me :( Good advice!

I'm actually really enjoying English now,I just didn't like the AOS part.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Ahaha no worries, but thanks!

My AOS was change, and I did it at the beginning of the year. If anybody needs related texts, come @ me.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Ahaha no worries, but thanks!

My AOS was change, and I did it at the beginning of the year. If anybody needs related texts, come @ me.
Can't wait for belonging! Paper 1 English, Paper 2 will destroy me.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the Yr 12 Belonging AOS I'll like much more. I had Power, Authority and the Individual as AOS.

But I mean I did well on the AOS 84% on the test (100% on the essay part of it) which was 4th and my AOS assignment I got like 94% which was 2nd :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I think the Yr 12 Belonging AOS I'll like much more. I had Power, Authority and the Individual as AOS.

But I mean I did well on the AOS 84% on the test (100% on the essay part of it) which was 4th and my AOS assignment I got like 94% which was 2nd :)
Well done! Belonging rules!

HSC
^agree with that :)

i just memorise lots of essays that i can adapt to whatever question they put up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)