English Poems! (1 Viewer)

dalalxa

HSC
Hey Guys!

During my first term in year 12, we did War Poems as a module for English! The poet is Wilfred Owen and I need tips or any help about how to go about in studying this. I have decided to just learn at least 2 questions + sub quotes from each poem as well as know the themes involved. (there are 6 poems) I haven't actually started to study for this, but i'm just so overwhelmed and stressed out about everything. But is there any tips or information that i should gather/learn?

Thank you ! x

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
Since Wilfred Owen is mod B, you really need to know all the poems. So you should know detailed textual evidence from all six poems, and you should have an insightful understanding of how Owen's complex personal context (his perspective as a soldier and all that), and public sentiment of the war at the time - this will allow you to apply this knowledge to any of the 6 poems. You should also know some specific details of how each of the six poems serves a unique and important function as social commentary, often contrasting the public perspective of the war.

Intrinsic

HSC
Don't get too stressed, just UNDERSTAND his poems, line by line, and you'll be fine. There's alot of information on the internet so finding out the meanings behind each poem shouldn't be too hard. While you're at it, try a find a unique perspective that revolve around his poems so you can formulate your own argument in your essay.

HSC
School holiday is a perfect time for you to take your time on things like learning new English texts. I suggest invest some time into shmoop, sparknotes and wikipedia to just absorb all possible readings of Owen. Once you've gotten the themes, obvious techniques and overall jist of what occurs in ALL of his poems, start thinking about possible topic sentences that revolve around the concepts explored --> supporting it with analysis.

dalalxa

HSC
Really?! I think poems are harder than normal texts, because theres a variety to chose from and they could ask you about anything! What english do you do?

dalalxa

HSC
Thank you guys!! I appreciate it all, all useful tips! xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)