• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English prelim advice (1 Viewer)

Autobot6908

HSC
Hi bored of studies, I am about to sit my English prelim exam in about two weeks. The exam consists of short answer (common mod) and a Mod A+ Mod B essay (2 hrs) in that respective manner. Heading into the exam, I have been told by previous Yr11 students to start with the essays first and then move onto common module question. Can anyone pls tell me if this is actually a good piece of advice to follow, or am I just hearing complete bluffer?

HSC
no don't do that, it is best to do short answer first because its gonna be fresh in your mind, esp with how long some texts can be. if you want to 'seamlessly transition' between modules, it may be good to quickly annotate the q/jot down a quick thesis for mod a/b immediately after reading time before starting short answer

Last edited:

bcv

HSC
Hi bored of studies, I am about to sit my English prelim exam in about two weeks. The exam consists of short answer (common mod) and a Mod A+ Mod B essay (2 hrs) in that respective manner. Heading into the exam, I have been told by previous Yr11 students to start with the essays first and then move onto common module question. Can anyone pls tell me if this is actually a good piece of advice to follow, or am I just hearing complete bluffer?
oh nahh, i literally did the short answer first and then the essay, i came 3rd or 4th for the prelims so trust me, do not listen to those previous yr 11 students lol

hscccc

HSC
doing short answers gets you in a good flow and switches your mind on usually. Especially after youve just read through the extracts in your reading time and theyll be fresh. You can also save time by smashing them out and saving time for your essays. I was always told to do the paper in order, so you switch on and work up to the essay (gives you more time to mull over the question subconsciously too)

spiderfan44

HSC
honestly it really depends on the person. some people prefer doing short answer first because they feel as if they can 'warm up' before the higher marked essay. others prefer doing the essay first so that they dont risk wasting time in short answer then being unable to finish the essay. personally i prefer doing the essay first bcuz then i can get it out of the way, that way im less stressed about having enough time during my exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)