English Study (1 Viewer)

mojo1

HSC
What are the most effective ways to study for english?

Is it to practice essays, memorise essays, or learn your texts inside out.

I think doing all these would help but which techniques are most effective and what other ways are there to become better?

tambam

HSC
What are the most effective ways to study for english?

Is it to practice essays, memorise essays, or learn your texts inside out.

I think doing all these would help but which techniques are most effective and what other ways are there to become better?
For paper 1 reading task, go through past papers and analyse texts, highlight and identify techniques, then make up some way it relates to belonging.
So basically, know techniques + belonging concepts really well.

For modules (advanced), i guess its a combination of knowing your texts well, and practicing/memorising sophisticated phrasing.
For trials, my school has never set any questions that are challenging or super specific, so i just go in with set examples and 2 issues for each module/text, basically regurgitating my practice essays and it worked perfectly fine.

But to be more prepared for all types of questions, especially ones that can be really specific,
- Gather all the hsc/trial questions you can find for each module + core
- 'Categorise' them into general questions, more specific questions etc.
- Then make sure your practice essay can be moulded into all/most of the questions, and make some notes with further examples, but the key is try to have as little examples which can span across a broad range of issues/topics that could possibly be asked.

For example, http://tutortales.wordpress.com/2009/07/16/practice-questions-for-area-of-study-belonging/
Look at all the questions/categories related to belonging, and make notes on how your examples can be moulded to fit each category.

Hope that helps :)

Skriker

HSC
For paper 1 reading task, go through past papers and analyse texts, highlight and identify techniques, then make up some way it relates to belonging.
So basically, know techniques + belonging concepts really well.

For modules (advanced), i guess its a combination of knowing your texts well, and practicing/memorising sophisticated phrasing.
For trials, my school has never set any questions that are challenging or super specific, so i just go in with set examples and 2 issues for each module/text, basically regurgitating my practice essays and it worked perfectly fine.

But to be more prepared for all types of questions, especially ones that can be really specific,
- Gather all the hsc/trial questions you can find for each module + core
- 'Categorise' them into general questions, more specific questions etc.
- Then make sure your practice essay can be moulded into all/most of the questions, and make some notes with further examples, but the key is try to have as little examples which can span across a broad range of issues/topics that could possibly be asked.

For example, http://tutortales.wordpress.com/2009/07/16/practice-questions-for-area-of-study-belonging/
Look at all the questions/categories related to belonging, and make notes on how your examples can be moulded to fit each category.

Hope that helps :)
This.

But why the fuck did you ask now when where already half way through trials and english papers are done......

tambam

HSC
This.

But why the fuck did you ask now when where already half way through trials and english papers are done......
Haha, i reckon.
Maybe OP got screwed over by trials. But some schools have them a bit later (i think)

Skriker

HSC
Haha, i reckon.
Maybe OP got screwed over by trials. But some schools have them a bit later (i think)
haha true true, but it still would be a bit too late too study for it now? don't you think? haha :)

mojo1

HSC
Thank you for your help :)

And yes, i should have probably mentioned that im doing the english hsc next year.

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC
This.

Are you really that stupid you didn't even notice his signature before posting this you tool?

Edit: It's in the HSC section because he is asking advice from people are actually going through the real thing unlike people in preliminary forum in the same predicament you fucking clown

Skriker

HSC
Are you really that stupid you didn't even notice his signature before posting this you tool?

Edit: It's in the HSC section because he is asking advice from people are actually going through the real thing unlike people in preliminary forum in the same predicament you fucking clown
Haha, its not like I go round reading others signatures, seems like you don't have a life, yes he is asking advice but you were to think he would be an actual HSC student as most of them post it on this topic. So I am guessing you are also calling Tambam a "Tool and a clown?" since he agreed with me.

People do have lives unlike some. Looks like your the tool here.

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC
Haha, its not like I go round reading others signatures, seems like you don't have a life, yes he is asking advice but you were to think he would be an actual HSC student as most of them post it on this topic. So I am guessing you are also calling Tambam a "Tool and a clown?" since he agreed with me.

People do have lives unlike some. Looks like your the tool here.
epitome of stupid...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)